PDA

View Full Version : New in Bag?

steven c newman
08-14-2014, 4:24 PM
After the mortise chisels showed up and got a trial run, a box showed up today in the mail. "Never used" Brass back, Rosewood handle.
8" long Gent's Saw
Sheffield England. Crown. New in the bag. Might be of SOME use? Now that all the tenon work is done of the tool chest build, this shows up at the doorstep:D

As for those two Mortise chisels294842 3/16" wide. Seem to work nicely, had to hone them just a bit, though. Still have a wee bit left in the account, might look around some more, to see what else I can bring home...

David Weaver
08-14-2014, 4:28 PM
You definitely don't want to use one of those fine tooth gents dovetail saws to cut any tenons of any size. You'll feel like your hand has been fused into an arthritic ball if you do.

But you might enjoy using it to cut dovetails and small joints.

They are OK middle of the road saws, a bit light in the spine and requiring a little more influence than a handled dovetail saw, and many of the newer english and continental versions tend to be a bit fat plated for their tooth size and their spine weight.

But they do work just fine.

Newman, I often see your posts and imagine you talk like ron burgundy, because there are sometimes question marks inserted into places where one wouldn't expect them - and we know you're not asking questions because some of us have responded to them a couple of times with answers and gotten a nasty response!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UtVjRG7PB_4

steven c newman
08-15-2014, 8:10 AM
Weaver: Would you care to edit your last comment?

Who IS this "Ron Lavender", anyway?

Only nasty to those that are nasty to me.

Of course, if all one can talk about a saw is to point out many question marks get used, not worth the trouble to read any further.

Finally begin to buy a few "good' tools, and this is what I get.....

David Weaver
08-15-2014, 9:47 AM
Calm down Steven, it was supposed to be in good humor..(I'm resisting the urge to end that sentence with question marks)

I'd imagine responses to your posts are limited because they are stated as if to invite discussion, but really just statements instead - like blog posts in a forum.

george wilson
08-15-2014, 10:15 AM
I'm not offering any advice? Except it's Ron Burgundy?

lowell holmes
08-15-2014, 10:40 AM
You might want to file the teeth on the saw to rip pattern before using it. If it doesn't cut to suit you, filing will probably help.

Frank Klauz covers it in his DVD "Hand Tools tuning and using chisels, planes and saws". I have a Garlick Lynx fine tooth saw. After giving it the Klauz treatment, it is a great saw.

If George chooses to, I'm sure he has thoughts on the subject.

george wilson
08-15-2014, 10:55 AM
I have no thoughts on the subject?

Joe Bailey
08-15-2014, 11:01 AM
must ... resist ... Seinfeld ... reference.

Aw, what the hell --

David Weaver
08-15-2014, 11:12 AM
I have no thoughts on the subject?

I do! My comment about them being "OK" was literal and accurate, though, they're OK saws (the various german and english gents saws), made of somewhat soft steel. and some of them claim to be hand sharpened, but they just have machine punched and set teeth and they benefit a whole lot from a sharp cornered file making a single pass over each tooth.

They are probably 1070 steel or something similar, and not driven to high hardness, and a bit tubby in the plate for their weight. figure the crown, two cherries, pax, ... brands of saws were making those gents saws before the current wave of boutique saws and they've pretty much stuck to the same thing and have been unaffected by boutique saws. Sort of strange, they could make a bit better of a saw without much trouble and charge twice as much and still be half of what LN charges for a gents saw.

Pat Barry
08-15-2014, 12:00 PM
What is the pitch on that saw Steven? I can't tell from the pictures. I have a "Razor saw" that looks similar - It has very fine pitch teeth. I use it for cutting small parts that would be difficult to do with standard saw teeth. Doesn't get a lot of use but when I need it - it works well. I doubt that I could sharpen it though

george wilson
08-15-2014, 12:05 PM
Those "razor saws" have totally wrong teeth. Their leading edges slant way forward,causing them to be incredibly aggressive. Whoever designed those teeth knew nothing about saw teeth. Pat,get yourself a "Blitz" back saw if you want a good,very small saw. They usually come with a metal cutting blade as well as a wood blade. They don't tell you WHICH blade is for metal,though! The blue one is for wood. The Blitz does not have a super thin blade like the razor saw,but the teeth are filed right. I guess the blade is about .015 thou thick. I haven't measured it. Might be a tad thicker.

I have sharpened mine,but I can't recall how many TPI it has. Probably over 40 TPI. I used a 6" triangular needle file,with really sharp corners on it. No room at all for rounded corners.

The Blitz is really quite a nice,useful little saw.

Tony Zaffuto
08-15-2014, 4:46 PM
Daughter got me one of the Crown gents saws for Christmas. Sat for a year or two until I finally tried it, and it is an excellent piece for small trim work (it is filed CC and I have not touched it up yet). Trick is to not try and overdo the saw.