PDA

View Full Version : Help with Deck Repair ??

Ken Salisbury
05-25-2003, 8:26 AM
My oldest Son has a very nice deck on the rear of his house which is built approx 4' off the ground and was constructed somewhat like a battleship (mechanical engineers tend to over design their own stuff) :). He went to great extreme to ensure all of the flooring boards were oriented to prevent cupping, etc. The deck was stained after completion.

Now - the problem. After years of use the deck floor boards have shallow cracks running with the grain which is now allowing water to penetrate the boards. ALL of the flooring is still as flat as a pancake. He is trying to come up with some way to seal these cracks so as to not have to replace the flooring. (It still looks great except for the cracks).

How can he approach saving this flooring for a few more years of use? He mentioned something like he was going to try some type of paint product mixed with sand and apply it. I told him to wait until I could get some suggestions from "THE EXPERTS" (aka: SMC Members).

Kevin Gerstenecker
05-25-2003, 8:56 AM
Ken, I have used a product called WoodEpox for repairs both indoors and out with excellent results. The product is a 2 part system, a wood replacement compound and a resin that it mixed with the putty like compound. If I remember correctly, it was a little costly, and the cost effectiveness of using the product vs. new decking would depend on the number of repair areas, and how much product the repair would require. This is really good stuff, and it is machinable, shrink-free, can be planed, sawn, carved, nailed, painted or finished as desired. Working life is 30 to 60 minutes, hardens in 1-6 hours. Here is the information on the company that makes this product, I am not sure it they have a website. Good Luck, and let us know how the repairs turn out.

Abatron, Inc.
5501 95th Ave,
Kenosha, WI 53144

Ken, after a short search, they do indeed have a website. There were even endorsments from TOH, and DIY, and they claim their product is used on many historical restorations, and even Ellis Island. Here is the link for ya! :D

http://www.abatron.com