PDA

View Full Version : Laminating table saw exetension table

Gerry S. Wojtowicz
08-14-2014, 1:44 PM
I am going to laminate a table saw extention table I made. My question is this. Is it better to cut the miter slots after the laminate is on, or before. If I was to cut the miter slots first I would then have to go back with a flush cutting bit to trim out the laminate from the miter slots. I guess I'm concerned about the dado blade doing damage to the laminate top.

Thanks to all in advance for your input.

Gerry

Victor Robinson
08-14-2014, 2:06 PM
I'd do it after.

Why not router the miter slot?

Bruce Page
08-14-2014, 2:17 PM
I cut mine after.
+1 on using a router

Gerry S. Wojtowicz
08-14-2014, 2:29 PM
Concerning routering the miter slot. I could do that, I just thought it would be quicker and easier to use the dado

Victor Robinson
08-14-2014, 2:49 PM
Concerning routering the miter slot. I could do that, I just thought it would be quicker and easier to use the dado

In theory the dado should be fine if you have a good zero clearance insert to make sure the edges are well supported.

Grant Wilkinson
08-15-2014, 10:45 AM
I did the dado after. I put blue tape over the dado line and, as Victor advised, used a zero clearance insert. It worked very well.

Mark W Pugh
08-16-2014, 6:03 AM
In theory the dado should be fine if you have a good zero clearance insert to make sure the edges are well supported.

I did it after. Made a quick jig/guide that the router ran in fore/aft and left/right for the size of the miter slots. Clamped it to the table, used a straight bit, made a nice clean cut/s. If you laminate after the slots, be careful where the glue goes or you'll be cleaning out the dado.

Alan Lightstone
08-16-2014, 7:36 AM
The last time I did this, I cut the slots first, then laminated on pieces and tried to trim them with a flush trim router bit. I had a tough time doing it, as all my flush trim router bits extended a little too deeply in the slots and contacted the bottom surface.

The first time I did it last - worked better. Not sure why I changed.