PDA

View Full Version : Hole diameter for a wine rack

Wade Lippman
08-14-2014, 1:07 PM
I am making a small wine rack. What is the appropriate hole size? I have a 3.25" hole saw and the largest bottle in my extensive collection of 4 wine bottles is a perfect fit. Is that likely to be big enough? My next size up is 4" and that is way too big, based on my bottles.

Andy Compton
08-14-2014, 1:43 PM
Finally a topic I can be an expert on!!! Check out this link with great info on the diameter by wine bottle type. Most wine comes in "Bordeaux" style bottles. It's the Champagne and Pinot Noir bottles that get pretty fat...

http://www.wineracksamerica.com/Content/bottle_sizes.html
(I have no affiliation blah blah blah...)

scott vroom
08-14-2014, 2:10 PM
2.6 inches

Wade Lippman
08-14-2014, 2:48 PM
Finally a topic I can be an expert on!!! Check out this link with great info on the diameter by wine bottle type. Most wine comes in "Bordeaux" style bottles. It's the Champagne and Pinot Noir bottles that get pretty fat...

http://www.wineracksamerica.com/Content/bottle_sizes.html
(I have no affiliation blah blah blah...)

I didn't realize it was so standardized. I guess we are done drinking pinot noirs. Thanks

Kent A Bathurst
08-14-2014, 7:13 PM
Understand that you do not need an exact fit for each specific bottle diameter/style. Go big - then anything you drop in there will fit.

Jason Roehl
08-14-2014, 7:16 PM
Understand that you do not need an exact fit for each specific bottle diameter/style. Go big - then anything you drop in there will fit.

Maybe he's trying to maximize the number of bottles in the house?

Mike Chalmers
08-14-2014, 7:19 PM
4" handles a,most anything. Smaller and you will not be able to fit the larger bottles, i.e. 1.5L and larger.

Kent A Bathurst
08-14-2014, 7:25 PM
4" handles a,most anything. Smaller and you will not be able to fit the larger bottles, i.e. 1.5L and larger.

I built a wine closet - a double-wide if you will. Both sides have 36" fir exterior doors, with insulated glass. The left side is bulk storage - 16" square "bins". The right side has slide-out shelves. Top 11 levels are for 750ml bottles - 12 per shelf. The bottom 2 are for the 1.5 - 8 bottle per shelf.

Different dia holes for the racks on the shelves.

Peter Quinn
08-14-2014, 8:43 PM
I went with 3 1/4", fits most normal Burgundy bottles except the really fat ones that almost nobody uses...those I put on top of the rack. I'm thinking if your hole saw is like mine the hole may be a bit over sized, sand it with a OSS and you get that extra little gap you need to accommodate Pinot Noir. Its a fine grape, no reason to exclude it. I don't tend to stock up on 1.5L quelchers and can't afford decent wine in large format, so those I chose to ignore in my now rack. I made it so it can handle from 375ml dessert bottles to burgundy, very happy with that. Also holds extra virgin olive oil bottles too....makes it look like I have more wine by storing those in the wine rack. Just have to be careful if you get tipsy and go for another bottle!

Bill McNiel
08-15-2014, 1:34 PM
I have built four wine cellars, three on commission and a 950 bottle capacity for my home. I do rack style units with a clearance of 3 7/8" clearance between verticles. This is the minimum for most Syrah bottles which are larger than the Pinots. Magnums live in display nooks.