PDA

View Full Version : Improvised router jig?

Mike Steinhilper
07-06-2005, 4:19 PM
I have to make some doors. I need to cut my slots in the rails and stiles. Here is the problem. I don't have a router table and I have a Black and Decker plunge router. The B&D router has no edge guide nor have I seen one anywhere to buy. Have any of you built a router jig that could accomplish what I'm trying to do? Unfortunately it's going to be few months before I can invest in a good router/table.

Dan Oelke
07-06-2005, 4:56 PM
Make a cheap, quick and dirty router table.

A piece of sturdy plywood with a hole in the center. The router is bolted to the bottom side. Then a straight piece of stock for the fence. Attach the fence with a couple of c-clamps.

An old sink cutout on top of sawhorses would be nicer than plywood because it has the laminate top.

You really should give more information about exactly what kind of doors you are making and what kind of tools you have. If you are making doors that just have a square dado/grove in the edge for a 1/4" plywood panel - then a dado blade in the table saw is probably easier and more accurate than the router. (Do you have a dado blade or table saw?)

With the router or the table saw - take some time to make some finger boards and use them. Both for safety and it helps reduce problems because you didn't hold the board perfectly tight while you picked up the push stick. DAMHIKT.

Don Baer
07-06-2005, 4:59 PM
http://www.patwarner.com/edge_guide.html

for a simple edge guide. You can probubly fashion something like this that will work.

Tim Sproul
07-06-2005, 7:32 PM
Take a piece of scrap and either bore or jigsaw a hole for the cutter. Joint or rip to a fresh straight edge. Use c-clamps or other small clamps to hold it onto the subbase.

Above is for a slot wing cutter.

If a straight bit, you don't need to make a hole for the cutter. Clamp the router in a vise upside down and clamp a fence to the router base.