PDA

View Full Version : Question on Handrails

Jim Foster
08-13-2014, 4:41 PM
I would like some advice on handrails.

I'm finishing a set of steps, and getting ready to install the newel posts and handrails. There are six steps, the first three extending several inches past a wall that the upper three stop at.

For this stair layout, it seems like the natural thing to do is have two sections of handrail, a handrail between the two posts (The bottom post is shown, but not set into the steps yet, the top will be against the wall where you see a thin yellow space) at the bottom three steps and then a handrail attached to the wall for the upper three steps. So there would be two handrails, offset (due to one rail centered on the post and one offset from the wall. Does this meet code requirements? There will be continuous handrall to hold, but the rail itself will not be continuous.

Scott Austin
08-13-2014, 6:46 PM
When doing a rail like that I would use an s curve ( or 2 quarter turns ) at the wall. That would make it a continuous rail per code. The rail should be 1 1/2"out from wall. Use stair brackets to hold rail at wall.

John TenEyck
08-13-2014, 9:23 PM
Here's the NYS Code:

R315.1 Handrails.
Handrails shall be provided on at least one side of each
stairway with two or more risers. Handrail height, measured
above stair tread nosings, shall be not less than 34
inches (864 mm) and not more than 38 inches (965 mm).
PHOTO 20. All required handrails shall be continuous
the full length of the stairs from a point directly above the
top riser of a flight to a point directly above the lowest
riser of the flight. PHOTO 21. Ends shall be returned or
shall terminate in newel posts or safety terminals. PHOTO
22. Handrails adjacent to a wall shall have a space of not
less than 1-1/2 inches (38 mm) between the wall and the
handrail. PHOTO 23.

Exceptions:
1. Handrails shall be permitted to be interrupted by a
newel post at a turn. PHOTO 24.

So, in NYS your plan would not comply with the code. Your handrail has to be contiuous as Scott said. You should get a copy of the codes for your state to understand all the requirements before undertaking the project. You can do pretty much anything in your own house but you shouldn't because if someone were to get hurt they could sue you if it's not to code. They could still sue, but you're in a much weaker position if the handrails aren't to code. The other problem will be when you want to sell the house. I recently did a stair balustrade for some folks who want to sell their home. They had no balcony railing nor stair railings, and it had been that way since they added a second story -several years ago!

John

Mel Fulks
08-13-2014, 9:32 PM
Whether required in your area or not one span of rail will look like woodwork ,two looks like plumbing with all those
returns.

Dave Zellers
08-13-2014, 11:49 PM
Put the handrail on the other side and fugetaboutit.

He said without seeing the other side...

Your plan is probably fine.

Mort Stevens
08-14-2014, 5:47 PM
Put the handrail on the other side and fugetaboutit.

That's what I thought when I saw the photo. Leave the side that's shown in the photo open without a handrail, it looks better that way, and run your continuous handrail on the other side.

Richard Wolf
08-14-2014, 9:28 PM
You can't leave the right side open, that will not meet code. But you can have a rail on both sides so you don't have to deal with s turns. You don't have your home state with your name, so you may want to check local codes. For years I dealt with s turns and continuous rails in New York state. I have moved to North Carolina and doing some work, and the code here is; as long as two separate rails are with 4 inches of each other, it is considered continuous.

This continuous thing is only about 10 years old, If your house is older than that, no one will know when the rails where installed and separate rails met code when the house was built.

Mel Fulks
08-14-2014, 9:58 PM
I noticed that in the specs John posted rail height is 34 to 38, are they trying to let hand rail now also serve as guard
rail ? It's been several years since I needed to look up that stuff, but around here it was 31 to 34 IIRC. I like the lower placing because I find it's easier to support my weight leaning on arm,not reaching up. Thanks

Dave Zellers
08-14-2014, 10:21 PM
I noticed that in the specs John posted rail height is 34 to 38, are they trying to let hand rail now also serve as guard
rail ? It's been several years since I needed to look up that stuff, but around here it was 31 to 34 IIRC. I like the lower placing because I find it's easier to support my weight leaning on arm,not reaching up. Thanks
Yes I agree.

I'm not a fan of the higher rail heights.