PDA

View Full Version : Iwasaki

Bruce Mack
08-13-2014, 2:56 PM
I just got the Iwasaki 200mm flat float fine cut file from The Best Things (pleased customer, no other connection). It is quite sharp to the touch and a little grabby when chamfering the corner of a piece of pine. A fine touch, a skim, gets it going. I've used it to level the short grain edge of a long grain to long grain glue-up of walnut edging on a small pine box lid after I had used a block plane. The file was easier than the plane as it registered against the flat with just downward finger pressure and removed small shavings with no tear out of the walnut edge. The end grain was actually shiny. The Iwasaki also removed dried glue squeeze-out at the interior corners of the box. Though it had to be used cross grain for this task, it did its job deftly and the resultant mild roughness was removed with a folded piece of 180 grit sandpaper moved side to side with my fingers. This was a task I had always botched with scrapers or chisels.
I'm really pleased and surprised at the control possible with this tool. It's fast too.

David Weaver
08-13-2014, 3:24 PM
I wonder if this is the same iwasaki who makes razors:

http://yhst-27988581933240.stores.yahoo.net/iwasaki-tamahagane-74mm-blade-16349-with-an-original-pa7416349.html

(same as in the company - the elder iwasaki is sort of a steel cult hero - the above razor is specified to "probably" be hardness 67, which is unreal)

Tom M King
08-13-2014, 4:01 PM
I really like them too. I use them for final fitting of small tenons mostly, or if an old molding plane needs something smoothed out inside. The floats are probably too small for someone to rely on solely for plane making, but they do a really fine job of finishing and final fitting.

Frederick Skelly
08-13-2014, 10:08 PM
I have several Iwasaki "carving files" and they look an awful lot like the ones TBT calls "floats". Ordered them when Woodcraft had a sale a while back, based on recommendations here at the Creek. Not certain they are the same item, as TBT's, but regardless, I use them often and love 'em. Id buy them again, for sure.
Fred

Mike Holbrook
08-13-2014, 10:36 PM
Another fan here. I got started with them when I was trying to find something that would work purple heart plane blade and wedge seats without leaving little chips in the wood. I use them for lots of things now. They are: faster than most sanding devices, less apt to cause tear out than planes and far less fussy to work with than scrapers.

John Coloccia
08-14-2014, 7:48 AM
I've been using them for years. Once you get the hang of them, they make quick work of just about any task, and they leave a superior finish. Great tools.