PDA

View Full Version : Filling holes w/plugs

John Shaffner
08-13-2014, 12:28 PM
Ok, so I have a bunch of screw holes to plug. I usually make my own plugs to match the specie I'm using. Using a tapered plug cutter from Veritas has always worked for me until today. I used a different countersink than I would normally (I KNOW it's around somewhere). The result was that the holes are larger than the plug, enough so they fall out. Anyone have a good remedy for filling these holes? This is an order for a client and I would like this to look right. Thanks for your expertise, folks!

John

Jim Mackell
08-13-2014, 12:33 PM
Mix a little very fine sawdust with your glue?

Mark Bolton
08-13-2014, 1:34 PM
Put your plug cutter in the DP and use a dremel to open up the ID. May have to re-sharpen as well.

Prashun Patel
08-13-2014, 1:55 PM
Buy a plug cutter that is the same size as the countersink.

Or, buy a 1/2" mortising chisel, and by hand, tap it hard to create a square recess. Then plug those with shop-made square blocks ripped at the tablesaw.

Richard Wolf
08-13-2014, 9:17 PM
Like Jim said. I put glue on the plug and roll it in some sawdust. Place it in the hole and let dry, works fine.

John Shaffner
08-14-2014, 3:55 PM
Thanks gents. The only other solution I could come up with is to re-drill the counterbore with a 1/2" bit and use an appropriate plug. Gonna give that a try on scrap and see if that'll do. If not, it looks like sawdust and glue to the rescue. Thanks again to the "collective" for good solutions.

John

Jim Bowers
08-14-2014, 4:09 PM
Use a dowel the proper size and cut it off flush with the surface. Of course apply glue to part of dowel inserted in hole. Used this method for years.

Mort Stevens
08-14-2014, 5:50 PM
A dowel will give you end grain, which may not look bad as a contrast, but I think he's going for the concealing angle and wants face grain on this.

John Shaffner
08-14-2014, 10:50 PM
Success! I re-drilled the counterbore with a 1/2" forstner bit then made 1/2" tapered plugs and glued them in. I like the tapered plugs as they fir rather snug. Yes Mort, they hide the holes rather nicely for a clean look. Thanks again for all the advice. BTW, these are the candy dispensers I make and sell on Etsy

John294874

Andy Pratt
08-24-2014, 3:20 AM
redrill larger, if it is for a customer it has to be done right