PDA

View Full Version : Trying to build a box

steven c newman
08-13-2014, 8:36 AM
Might have a few things done
Used counter-bored screws to hold the corners together, this is a tool box, not a fancy Hope chest. Clamped it on it's side to allow some work to proceed on the corners
Leveled everthing out with a Millers Falls #9. Recycled Oak frames were a might uneven in thickness. Then I could add about 28 of these little guys
I had a scrap of Black Walnut sitting around, and a two fluted plug cutter. Spot of Elmers down into the hole, tap a plug in after it, and let it sit abit. Once the glue had dried, grabbed a sharp chisel, and set it bevel down
I go at each plug a bit high, knock off the most of the top. Then, if the grain allows, pare it flush. Then a plane to smooth the entire line down
Something like that. Finished up planing and some sanding, and sat the chest up
Think I might be getting there. Brought down to the shop some more wood from the outdoor wood stash. Seems I need to make a lid. looking at the available lumber left from that old bed frame, it might just be a repeat of the sides. Oak frame, around a pine raised panel. I do have some trim I can add.......;)

steven c newman
08-13-2014, 12:54 PM
Made some progress on a lid for the box. Ripped to size a few boards to width. Had just enough to make a frame. Routed some grooves. Made some tenons294763

It is a Disston D-8 11 point crosscut. And the sharpest saw in the shop. Saw down to the depth I wanted, chisel to knock off the waste. Got a few new toys to try out
REAL Mortise chisels! Made a few Mortises with them
until a frame was made. Needed to find out what size a panel to glue up
Jig came in handy. Set evrything aside, and brought down a pine 1 x 10. Needed to cut two lengths @ 29-1/4" long. I also needed the panel to be @ 13" wide. Ripped a section out of the second board to get the right width, and clamped the whole mess into the clamps

As for the rest of the parts
There are a few "trim" pieces sitting there, will be going around the edge of the lid's underside. 45 degrees at the corners. Might need some better hinges...

Bruce Mack
08-13-2014, 7:22 PM
Steven, I like the strong construction and the use of available wood. Amber shellac might further the theme. It looks like something you'll enjoy for decades