PDA

View Full Version : Spray Foam Insulation Kits...DIY

Chris Padilla
08-12-2014, 6:05 PM
So I've googled around and found spray foam kits that a DIYer could do themselves.

Anyone have any experience with these kits? Good ones? Bad one?

I'm gutting my master bathroom and would like to spray foam the exterior wall.

I only have about 75 sq ft to do so a little kit would be a lot less money than a pro.

Thanks!! :)

Greg Portland
08-12-2014, 6:55 PM
I've used the 2 part DIY kit, IIRC it ran about $300 or so. Worked great. Most spray installers will tell you it's not worth having them come out for small jobs.

Mark Bolton
08-12-2014, 6:58 PM
Fine for an extremely small area but if your in an area where sprayfoam is even minimally common there is no way you can do it yourself cheaper (and more so better) than they can.

Chris Padilla
08-12-2014, 6:59 PM
Foam It Green seems to get a lot of raves and reviews. I might give it a go. I can do ~2" thick in my bathroom for around $350.

Greg Portland
08-12-2014, 7:14 PM
Around here it runs about 3x the cost of fiberglass (for equivalent R value) and the installers I called said it's not worth hiring them unless you've got a $2k+ job (due to the minimum time on site, truck & cleaning costs, etc.). After hearing this I went with the DIY option and it worked perfectly. Be sure to wear safety gear + respirator!!!

Tony Zona
08-12-2014, 9:37 PM
Now I'm curious. Is spray foam safe? Does it emit dangerous gases?

Nike Nihiser
08-13-2014, 8:25 AM
For that small of an area you might be better off buying rigid insulation, cutting it to fit and sealing the edges with the spray foam cans, like "Great Stuff".

Greg Portland
08-13-2014, 2:15 PM
Now I'm curious. Is spray foam safe? Does it emit dangerous gases?
Tony, it depends on the product. The foam expands a LOT... getting any in your lungs would be a very bad idea. Some products recommend ventilating for 2 days, some say that you can throw drywall over it after a few hours w. minimal ventilation.

Chris Padilla
08-13-2014, 5:58 PM
I've been reading about "Foam It Green" and "Tiger Foam" (they both basically appear to be the same...more or less) and they both insist that a respirator, gloves, tyvek suit, and eye protection. Bascially cover yourself head to toe and protect your lungs. However, you can be back in your home an hour after spraying.

Art Mulder
08-14-2014, 10:50 AM
Chris,

I used one of these DIY kits when I renovated my basement shop 3 years ago. I just used it for the header areas, but you might still be interested. I wrote it up on my website back then: http://wordsnwood.com/2011/foam/

There are a few tricks you want to keep in mind when spraying. But it is pretty straightforward, and to answer Tony's questions, I found that the odour was very minimal.

Tony Zona
08-14-2014, 11:22 AM
thanks, guys, for the emission information.

ray hampton
08-14-2014, 1:09 PM
Chris,

I used one of these DIY kits when I renovated my basement shop 3 years ago. I just used it for the header areas, but you might still be interested. I wrote it up on my website back then: http://wordsnwood.com/2011/foam/

There are a few tricks you want to keep in mind when spraying. But it is pretty straightforward, and to answer Tony's questions, I found that the odour was very minimal.

Is it possible that it was still giving off fumes but that your nose got use to the odor and fail to noticed it ?

Chris Padilla
08-14-2014, 4:42 PM
Chris,

There are a few tricks you want to keep in mind when spraying. But it is pretty straightforward, and to answer Tony's questions, I found that the odor was very minimal.

Excellent stuff, Art! I like the tips about covering stuff up. I'll be sure to do that and since I'm in a bathroom, it won't be too bad to do that at all. I'll probably get a "200 bf" kit and that will allow me 2-3 inches per 2x4 stud bay. I shouldn't have to start/stop as often as you did so maybe I can keep the "blobs" to a minimum.

ray hampton
08-14-2014, 5:39 PM
Excellent stuff, Art! I like the tips about covering stuff up. I'll be sure to do that and since I'm in a bathroom, it won't be too bad to do that at all. I'll probably get a "200 bf" kit and that will allow me 2-3 inches per 2x4 stud bay. I shouldn't have to start/stop as often as you did so maybe I can keep the "blobs" to a minimum.

I doubt that it will be 2" thick but the foam will fill the space between the studs, cover the holes in the outlet boxes so that the foam do not go into the boxes

Chris Padilla
10-08-2014, 1:25 PM

I thought I'd update this thread. I went with "Foam It Green" and their 202 kit. It came out to $410 at the end of the day. Shipping is a bit of a pain in terms of both cost AND the fact that you MUST sign for it due to it being hazardous or compressed gas or something. FedEx made 3 failed delivery attempts and then I could finally go pick it up at their warehouse close to me at work.

Anyway, all went very well. The kit is very easy and straight-forward to use. Just read and follow all their instructions. You definitely want to cover up stuff you don't want to get foam on. This stuff splatters a bit. You get materials to completely cover yourself up with (use them) and I suggest using plastic sheets to cover stuff up or hang in front of doorways and such. I should have covered up that window there (I did at the last second but only at the edges) better. I had to use a razor blade to scrape residue off of it.

I fully filled all the stud bays so I should have about 24 R there. Cutting back the foam to flush is not hard but very messy and a pain. If you look closely, you'll see a stud placed wide side out (support for glass shower door). I FORGOT to put that in when I started spraying so I had to jig up a router sled and bit to hog out the foam to put the nailer in place. MESSY MESSY. I also forgot the nailers for the toilet paper holder and towel bars!!! LOL! Oh well. Those didn't require hogging out as much material as a 2x4 but it was still messy.

I'd use this stuff again in a heartbeat. I'm already thinking about my attic but I may hire that out due to its size. I will definitely use it when we gut the hall bathroom to fill the stud bays and around the new tub.

Art Mulder
10-08-2014, 2:32 PM
Is it possible that it was still giving off fumes but that your nose got use to the odor and fail to noticed it ?

missed this one way back...

Ray, I was wearing a respirator during the spraying and did ventillate the space well.
I'm referring here to after spraying when I was no longer wearing the respirator - maybe 20 minutes later.
I have a pretty sensitive nose, so I don't think I was just used to it. But that is of course a subjective thing.