PDA

View Full Version : Monster Articulated Hollowing System - Videos, Tutorials?

Marty Tippin
08-12-2014, 2:38 PM
Looking to get started with the Monster system I bought from Ken Glass recently, thought maybe there would be a tutorial or some videos online but I haven't been able to turn anything up yet.

I did contact the folks at Monster Lathe Tools and they kindly sent a few documents that should help with setup, so at least I can get it all assembled and ready to go.

If you know of video or other links that might be helpful, please share them!

Sig Mekosky
08-12-2014, 3:18 PM
Search for "randy47360" in YouTube.

Bill Hensley
08-12-2014, 6:35 PM
Turn the inside of a small bowl to get familiar with how it works. I usually run the speed about 750 rpms, set the top of the cutter bit on the center line of whatever you're turning. Try to minimize the overhang of the shaft off the tool rest at every opportunity to eliminate the chatter you'll experience once you start trying to reach too far (8-9" with 3/4" shaft).

You'll enjoy it once you get the hang of it just don't try hog too much wood, let the cutter do the work. Keep the cutters sharp. Have fun!

Bill Blasic
08-13-2014, 7:15 AM
Make sure you are on the centerline for your cut. I use mostly the Kelton and John Jordan Hollowers because I like smaller entry holes. I start by drilling a 3/8" hole to depth after finishing the outside shape and then it is a series of cuts as anybody espouses to hollow. I myself generally have the lathe speed very fast, you will have to find your own speeds. I normally set the laser 1/8" to 3/16" away from the cutting area I'm using and when the laser dot falls off the wood I know I'm at my thickness. I recently got one of Alan Trout's new hollowing system and as much as I like the Monster (let's call it the Buick of hollowers) Alan's is undoubtedly the Cadillac.

Shawn Pachlhofer
08-13-2014, 9:50 AM
Alan's system looks very interesting. I wonder if there will be one at SWAT that we can drool on...I mean - check out.

Bill Blasic
08-14-2014, 6:19 AM
Shawn I think someone will be using one in their demonstration.

Ken Glass
08-15-2014, 7:19 AM
Marty,
I'm glad you got the Mustard Monster set-up and are ready to tackle Hollowing. Bill has the right idea about starting with a small bowl so you can see the tool reaction when hollowing. Here is a link you might like: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k--ap2o7ixA I guess its time to take my Avatar off since that's your Lathe I'm standing behind with the Monster System. LOL

Marty Tippin
08-15-2014, 9:39 AM
I've watched the few videos I could find and have a general idea of how the whole process works. Just need to find time to get it all set up and give it a try...

Don Bunce
08-15-2014, 12:38 PM
Here is an excellent video that explains the hollowing process. Although he is using a different hollowing system, the principles are the same.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6i6HIZC1ry4

Here is a good article on setting the laser:

http://www.derrytools.com/downloads/Derry%20Laser%20Handout.pdf