PDA

View Full Version : Good place to get materials in lehigh valley pa

Dominic Baudoin
08-12-2014, 11:31 AM
Hi all,

I just moved to lehigh valley pa and was looking for suggestions of good places to get materials. Looking for lumber, sheet goods, tools, etc. Looking for good prices and quality without going to the Borg.

Peter Kelly
08-12-2014, 12:42 PM
You're close to Heacock Lumber.

Heacock Lumber
6395 Easton Rd
Plumsteadville, PA 18949
T: 215 766 8831
http://heacocklumber.com

Curt Harms
08-13-2014, 6:40 AM
There's a Woodcraft on Lehigh St. 1-2 miles north of I-78. Harbor Freight west of 309 off Tilghman St. for what you find Harbor Freight acceptable for. I'd guess there's sawmills north but I'm not familiar. Heacock lumber is mostly rough sawn lumber air dried. There is a 'spiffier' hardwood supplier, Wehrung specialty woods north of Heacock a few miles with kiln dried S2S or S3S lumber and more species but also more money. If you're looking for sheet goods, Industrial Plywood in Reading has a huge selection compared to the borgs.

If you're from Tucson, you may find more wood movement that you see in the southwest. I typically see around 6% moisture in the winter and this time of year 10 -12% in non-air conditioned spaces.

Jim German
08-13-2014, 12:33 PM
Hearne Hardwoods south of Philly is an amazing lumberyard, although it is a bit of a haul from the Lehigh Valley.

Curt Harms
08-14-2014, 8:45 AM
And if you don't know about it, there's Woodfinder(dot)com. Though with Woodfinder be sure to call first, just because a business is shown as having a particular species doesn't mean they actually do.

Jim Becker
08-14-2014, 10:04 PM
I order my sheet goods from Industrial Plywood in Reading.

Jim G mentions Hearne...totally worth the ride! You can also shoot down Rt 412 from Hellertown to Rt 611 and visit Wherungs Specialty Woods in Ottsville. (about a 1/4 mile south of where 412 comes into 611 on Rt 611 on the right) Reasonably good selection of lumber and nice folks. That said, there are likely many smaller lumber suppliers around your new area that hopefully you can find by word of mouth.

Galip Guvelioglu
08-14-2014, 10:12 PM
Bailey Wood Products in Kempton PA for lumber

Industrial Plywood in Reading PA for plywood

Dominic Baudoin
08-16-2014, 1:59 AM
Great suggestions everyone! Even the road trip ones are good to know as well since we've been doing a lot of sight seeing lately to get familiar with the area. Having a destination is always helpful on those road trips and makes the wife more open to joining.