PDA

View Full Version : help in selecting a marking knife

Dan Racette
07-06-2005, 12:51 PM
I was wondering if people could share their experiences with some various marking knives. I am looking at the following.

-veritas striking knife
-chester tool works
-Hock marking knife.

Thoughts?
Dan

Glenn Clabo
07-06-2005, 1:21 PM
Don't let the fact that Chester Toolworks is our own SMC Neanderthal Haven moderator...Dave Anderson...And don't let the fact that said moderator is an all around nice guy and and one heck of a tool maker...

But do let the fact that I can assure you that Chester Toolworks Marking Knives and Awls are excellant tools handmade by Dave Anderson...because I am the proud owner of both.

As an added bonus...they are as good looking as they are useful.

http://www.chestertoolworks.com/images/snakewoodknife.jpg
http://www.chestertoolworks.com/images/snakewoodawl.jpg

Dan Racette
07-06-2005, 1:23 PM
Just wanted some direct feedback! CTW knife is my current fave.

Tyler Howell
07-06-2005, 1:26 PM
OK, let those influence your selection.

I have 2 knives and other goodies from Chester. Very happy camper here:cool:

Roy Wall
07-06-2005, 1:28 PM
Dan,

I have the same set as Glenn (but in tulipwood). They are beautiful and good tools.

When it comes to thin pins......a X-acto knife is hard to beat.

Andrew Ault
07-06-2005, 1:30 PM
I happen to have the Veritas knife. It holds an edge well and is comfortable. I like the flat handle sides so it does not roll on my bench. The blade is long enough so it lies flat against dovetail sides while marking pins. I like the double edges as I think switching between a left and right handed knife would be a little bit of a pain and the less stuff on the workbench the better.

I have not used the other two knives, but they certainly seem to offer good quality and function. The Hock offers the opportunity to make your own handle (scrap cocobolo anyone?). Sometime I'll make my own knife, probably out of a dull file, with appropriate heat treatment.

The CTW knives are beautiful. I did not know that he was a moderator here...nice stuff!

-Andy

Chris Barton
07-06-2005, 2:05 PM
Just another alternative here, find or buy a 1/2 to 1" spade bit grind it to fit the shape you like and fit it to a handle of your own design and making and viola, you got your own handmade marking knife...

Chris

Robert Tarr
07-06-2005, 2:15 PM
Depending on what I am "marking out" I switch between several different tools. The one that I reach for most often, is part of a broken hacksaw blade. I used a hand cranked grinder (this is the dark side after all) to knock down the teeth. and shape the point. It is the thinnest and most used of my 4 marking knives.

The CTW knife is a sweet tool!

Have fun.

Robert

Dave Anderson NH
07-06-2005, 3:59 PM
It's not appropriate for me to comment on this one for obvious reasons. I will say however, that if you guys keep this up I'm gonna have to go buy a larger hat.:D

Mike Wenzloff
07-06-2005, 4:12 PM
Hi Dan,

I have several, the Veritas among them. I also have two Japanese ones from Woodcraft (R/L pair). I also have a couple made from drill bits I made years ago as Chris suggests.

I use them each for different types of work. For dovetail marking, I use the Japanese ones most. For general use, the Veritas is hard to beat.

The smallish ones made from drill bits I use in a couple panel marking gauges I have.

Mike

Tom LaRussa
07-06-2005, 5:21 PM
I was wondering if people could share their experiences with some various marking knives. I am looking at the following.

-veritas striking knife
-chester tool works
-Hock marking knife.

Thoughts?
Dan

Unless you're in the mood to make your own handle, skip the Hock.

If you need to save money, go with the Veritas.

Otherwise, if you want a beautiful, functional, hand-crafted, honest-to-goodness-hand-it-down-to-the-grandkids tool, go with the CTW. My personal preference would be the snakewood if I were buying right away, but if I could wait a bit I'd like to take a look at the tiger maple when it's ready before deciding.

Tom

Peter Ulmanis
07-06-2005, 7:27 PM
Let me add vote for CTW. I got one last year and I love it. I have not tryed the others and may not, I am that happy with it. :cool:

Peter

John Shuk
07-06-2005, 8:22 PM
I've only used CTW. I see no reason to change that.

Martin Shupe
07-06-2005, 10:52 PM
Don't let the fact that Chester Toolworks is our own SMC Neanderthal Haven moderator...Dave Anderson...And don't let the fact that said moderator is an all around nice guy and and one heck of a tool maker...

But do let the fact that I can assure you that Chester Toolworks Marking Knives and Awls are excellant tools handmade by Dave Anderson...because I am the proud owner of both.

As an added bonus...they are as good looking as they are useful.

Mine are curly maple, and they look and perform beautifully.

Cecil Arnold
07-07-2005, 12:39 AM
I've always been happy with Varitas, until I got their knife. The first time I used it a small part of the point broke off. It is still useable, but I feel the design makes the point too fragile, IMHO.

Mike Wenzloff
07-07-2005, 4:46 AM
I've always been happy with Varitas, until I got their knife. The first time I used it a small part of the point broke off. It is still useable, but I feel the design makes the point too fragile, IMHO.
Hi Cecil,

I snapped the tip off mine once as well. Once reground it hasn't happened. That's been a few years now.

I assume your still "happy" with Lee Valley, though...just not that product?

Mike

Steve Wargo
07-07-2005, 5:44 AM
I'll cast a vote for the Pfeil (Swiss carving tools from Woodcraft). I have the double bevel carving knife and if works great. The blade is fairly thick at the spine, but hones up nicely, and remains sharp. And I think it was only about $20.

John Miliunas
07-07-2005, 8:43 AM
And yet another vote for CTW, though I got mine before our esteemed Mr. Anderson was big-time famous!:) Beautiful Snakewood handle and it works great!:) :cool:

Cecil Arnold
07-07-2005, 1:07 PM
Mike, yes I still think very highly of the orgainization and their products. Having made a few cutting tools in the past I understand the problems associated with working steel and tempering it, so I can't say anything "bad" about this tool except that I think a slight design change is needed.

Michael Gibbons
07-07-2005, 3:18 PM
I'm with Steve. Pfiel carving tools from Woodcraft. Head to the nearest store and check out the entire line. You may find a couple to fit your needs.

Derek Cohen
07-08-2005, 8:34 AM
I think that Dave's knives are absolutely beautiful. And I'd buy one just because they are wonderfully crafted and of such interesting timbers. Of the above, it is the one I'd go for.

But marking knives (and awls) are like clamps - the more the merrier. They are cheap enough to splurge on every now-and-then. I have several, and they tend to be sharpened differently. For example, you need a sharp blade to mark across the grain. You need a blunt knife to mark dovetails. An awl is best used with the grain.

How do you hold a knife? In your palm, like a fist? Then you would probably prefer a thicker handle. I tend to use a Japanese knife in this way. Like a pencil? Then you might prefer a marking knife like Patrick Leach's. I like this style for marking dovetails, so made a copy (see below). I think that the Veritas is a sort-of copy of this double bevel style. It is extremely comfortable to hold.

What about making a knife for yourself? This is really easy. You could get the Hock blade, above. Or you could make a blade, as I did, out of an old spade bit (the spade became the blade; the shaft became the awl).

Regards from Perth

Derek

Jim Becker
07-08-2005, 9:07 AM
I have the Veritas, but if I were buying today, no question it would be the Chester Tool Works product. I didn't know Dave from Adam when I bought my knife a few years ago. I will likely buy at least one from him as I get more involved in Neander ways, anyway... ;)

Alan Tolchinsky
07-08-2005, 5:46 PM
Hi Derek, Nice job on those marking knives. I like the little case you DT'd together and the handles you turned. Very nice. If I've given you credit for something you didn't do, let me know. :) Alan in Md.