PDA

View Full Version : Wireless Doorbells - any suggestions

BOB OLINGER
08-12-2014, 9:28 AM
I purchased an Ultilitech wireless doorbell for one of our buildings at work. It transmitted to the first room inside but not to any points further interior. So, I took it home and tried it, and got basically the same results. I tried it in another building and it only sounded like 1 out of 6 tries and at close range. The back of the package said "up to 100 ft. transmission range." So, I called Ultilitech and the guy told me that metal and concrete cause transmission problems. In reviewing the literature inside the package, it said the same.
So, does anyone have a recommendation for a good wireless door bell. We don't need to transmit 100 ft., likely 50 ft or less.

Myk Rian
08-12-2014, 9:32 AM
You could mount the unit where it receives the signal, and add a speaker where you need it.

Duane Meadows
08-12-2014, 10:07 AM
Most any will suffer from that problem. If the push button is mounted on metal(ie aluminum or steel siding, it may help to space it an inch or so from the metal. If a lower frequency(MHz or GHz) is available, it may work better. Also moving either unit 3-6 inches can make all the difference in the world.

It's not a quality issue with the door bell per se. More an issue with Radio waves and shielding and/or interference! Aluminum especially makes a really good RF shield. Metal in direct contact with the pushbutton will also detune(change the frequency) enough to shorten the range or make the system totally inoperable.

Also other devices on close frequencies in proximity will shorten the range( GDO receivers, WIFI, Dect6 phones, Leakage from CATV system, etc, etc, etc).

Mike Henderson
08-12-2014, 11:30 AM
I had the same problem. Plus a long term problem with the batteries - batteries going dead and the contacts getting corroded. I finally bit the bullet and spent a lot of money to get a wire run for a permanent solution.

Mike

Dan Hintz
08-12-2014, 4:45 PM
Any chance the door it's going near has glass? If so, mount it to the glass (not the metal door or concrete surround) and try again...

Tony Zona
08-12-2014, 9:56 PM
I have Honeywell in my home. Wireless, of course.

The infrared driveway alarm is great. It senses some falses in high winds. It does catch animals sometime, and people walking. (That's ok with me. I can go out and give the visiting neighbor Britney her treat.) It is a good hundred feet from the indoor receiver. And it's 9-volt battery has lasted well over a year, even through our bitter Pennsylvania winter. I'll change it before next winter. The cheap Harbor Freight driveway alarm didn't do it at all. Too many falses, short battery life and poor range.

i have three wireless Honeywell buttons. One has failed, and I have not tended to it yet so I don't know why. I think the battery is still good though.

All three buttons are well within 50 feet of the receiver.

I set all the sending devices to cause a different tone on the receiver. And a receiver strobe flashes with each ring. I don't recall if that flash can be disabled.

Our house is frame and cedar sided. Under the cedar is exterior foam board insulation that is aluminum coated on one side.

You know, I should get to that failed device. It may be under warranty. Not sure.