PDA

View Full Version : Laser for bosch glide miter saw

Bernie Kopfer
08-11-2014, 6:10 PM
My Costco has a great price on the Bosch glide miter saw. I need a saw that can back up to a wall so my only options are to stay with a non slider saw or the Bosch or the Kapex. My present saw has one redeeming feature and that is a very accurate double laser. The Kapex also has a great laser but my blades are 12in and so the Bosch is very tempting economically. Having used a good laser for years I am loath to do without, it really speeds things up for semi accurate cutting. Those who say they don't need one perhaps haven't had a good one. And our wonderful friends at Bosch sell the European version with a laser.

So my question is does anybody have a aftermarket laser for the Bosch that does not require getting the blade spinning to turn the light on? And of the spin on type do you like the one you have? Thanks

Garth Almgren
08-11-2014, 6:31 PM
http://laserkerf.com/ is the only one I can think of offhand. I have no experience with the company or the product, just remember reading about it elsewhere on this site.

Michael Heffernan
08-11-2014, 9:25 PM
Bernie,
I have the Bosch 12" glide SCMS. It's a great saw. I definitely like the fact that it can set within a couple of inches of the wall. I got the Bosch laser guide, that replaces the arbor washer. Only activates when the blade is spinning. It's very accurate, but quite dim. I don't recommend this laser for outdoor use or if you have a work light shining on your workpiece. It's not an issue in my shop, but it would be better if the laser shined brighter.
I'm also curious to know if there is an accurate laser that is on BEFORE you start the blade spinning. It's disappointing that Bosch didn't engineer an integrated laser into this saw, considering the price. With the spin activated laser, you still have to line up your cut by lowering the blade, then start it up and fine tune if needed. The issue with this on this saw, it that the saw table is etched for better grip of the workpieces, but makes it difficult to incrementally slide the piece to line up with the laser. Works well with shorter, lighter stock, but with longer, heavier boards, I line up the cut with the blade and make the cut.

Bernie Kopfer
08-12-2014, 12:44 AM
Thanks Garth, that is exactly what I was looking for!

Jack Lemley
11-02-2019, 10:52 AM
Michael,
Did you by chance try the Laserkerf on your Bosch 12" guide saw?

Thanks
Jack