PDA

View Full Version : Trend or another one??

Ed Lang
07-06-2005, 12:09 PM
It is time to get going on dust control in the shop. A Gorilla will take care of the machines it looks like but what about when I am turning? It looks like the Trend shield will provide protection as well as fresh air.

Here comes the big question..... I have a reaction to CA glue. Everytime I use it, a couple of hours later I have trouble breathing. The more exposure to CA, the more trouble I have hours later. Will the Trend filter out CA? Do you know of others that will?

All suggestions welcomed as I used Gorilla Glue on my last batch of pens to keep away from CA but like CA better. I have no other choice in "fixing" items on the lathe than to us CA the way I see it.......

Bruce Volden
07-06-2005, 12:50 PM
Ed,

Does CA glue bother you at the time you are using it or is it usually later that you have the problems. I ask this because odorless CA glue is available, perhaps that may be worth a try????

http://www.palmlabsadhesives.com/cyanoacrylate-odorless.htm

Cecil Arnold
07-06-2005, 1:16 PM
I have the Trend, and don't think it is certified for this kind of protection. I don't recall the OSHA requirement, but think you need something that offers more protection, which is going to be more $$.

Bob Borzelleri
07-06-2005, 2:15 PM
I have the Trend, and don't think it is certified for this kind of protection. I don't recall the OSHA requirement, but think you need something that offers more protection, which is going to be more $$.

This is going to be an anecdotal response and not at all supported by certifications or other such empirical info.

I have a Triton powered respirator which I do not believe is certified for fume control.

While cutting OSB with a trim saw, I have always had the smell of the adhesive in my nose, even when using a paper nuisance dust mask (although somewhat less with my old Dustfoe 66 as shown in my Avatar).

After I started using the Triton, I noticed that I no longer get the wiffs of adhesive. In fact, after I finish a cut and lift the face shield, the first thing I get is the same old adhesive smell.

I think it is possible that while the filter is not necessarily designed to collect such fumes, the location of the filter might make the difference I am describing.

The Triton has a filter cannister that is worn on the waist and behind the operator. That position might keep the filters far enough out of the path of rising fumes to keep said fumes from entering the filtered air path in the first place. I know that the Trend has its filters on top of the unit where they might be directly in the path of rising fumes. Again, completely anecdotal and speculative information.

...Bob

Ed Lang
07-06-2005, 2:25 PM
Bruce,

My reaction is hours after exposure.

Dario Octaviano
07-06-2005, 2:28 PM
Have you tried putting a fan behind you and push the fumes father from you as soon as possible? It is not a fix but may help.

Chris Fite
07-06-2005, 2:40 PM
Trouble breathing after exposure to a product is indicative of an extreme allergic reaction called anaphylaxis. While some have lesser reactions based upon minimal exposure, the reaction to the irritant is present and may become uncontrolled without warning. I think that it would be prudent to talk to your physician about this to see if testing or avoidance is warranted. If you had this same reaction to a medication, you would never take it again.

FWIW

Lee DeRaud
07-06-2005, 2:48 PM
My reaction is hours after exposure.A pulmonary reaction with that long a delay almost sounds like you're getting it into your system through skin contact rather than breathing the fumes. You are wearing gloves, yes?

Dario Octaviano
07-06-2005, 2:53 PM
By the way...why not use other glues?

2 part epoxy might be a good substitute. We all love our hobby but it is not worth taking those risks if they are avoidable.

If I am you...I'll look for a friend and give him all my CA. Should I send you my address now? LOL

Dennis Peacock
07-06-2005, 7:19 PM
Ed,

I have the Trend AirShield and LOVE it!!!!

Jim Ketron
07-06-2005, 7:29 PM
I have the Trend also It works great for fine dust but I dont think its made for filtering out chemicals (fumes). I Agree with others find something that you can use safely. I use Epoxy on most of my turning needs but also use CA for small cracks. Maybe using it outdoors and wearing latex gloves might help you?

Jim

Gary Max
07-06-2005, 8:34 PM
If your reaction to CA is that bad---throw it away. Heck you could kill yourself.
5 minute epoxy from Wallymart is cheap. I use it all the time for the bigger jobs---works great.

Ed Lang
07-06-2005, 9:52 PM
Thanks folks.

Looks like my wife gets all of the CA and I get epoxy and a Trend to protect my "boyish good looks" :) Wonder where I heard that!:rolleyes:

Gary DeWitt
07-06-2005, 10:06 PM
Shock from allergic reaction is wildly unpredictable and can be as severe as a quick death. Been there and done that in a hospital setting undergoing tests, where the staff had a syringe of epinepherin handy just in case, and we definitely needed it!
Dust masks are not designed for fumes. Some gas-type masks are, their effectiveness depends on what filters are used. I have worked in a small (closet sized) closed space with laquer, with the proper gas mask, with no ill effects at all.
Be carefull out there!

Carole Valentine
07-07-2005, 8:52 AM
And it definitely does NOT filter fumes and doesn't pretend to. It does however do a great job on fine dust.

Lee DeRaud
07-07-2005, 9:29 AM
And it definitely does NOT filter fumes and doesn't pretend to. It does however do a great job on fine dust.There was a thread on the other forum comparing the Trend to the Triton: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=21722. I was under the impression (but can't find it now) that the Triton had a filter option for fumes. Hang on, it's in this thread: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=21958. Turns out the other filter option is for welding, don't know exactly what the issues are for that, fumes or particulates.

At any rate, its filter pack is mounted remotely, down on the belt...moving it around to the back would minimize the amount of fumes entering the inlet.

Jim Becker
07-07-2005, 9:34 AM
None of the low cost "filtered" face shield choices will filter organics, such as CA. These shields are considered "comfort" devices and do a good job with both protection and keeping air flowing across your face to avoid fogging and a reasonable amount of fine dust. But they are not NIOSH approved devices for anything beyond nusance dust.