PDA

View Full Version : Shout out to Photovac

Mike Null
08-11-2014, 8:56 AM
On Friday I received my laser tube--Coherent 45 watt for my Trotec Speedy 300. After 8 years of reliable service i had to have my tube re-manufactured. I chose Photovac of Grove City, Ohio based on a recommendation from Mike Kowalczyk, a member here. http://photovaclaser.com/

I had seriously considered buying a new machine but the numbers didn't quite work out and the price of a new tube was prohibitive so I called Chris Zelich at Photovac and arranged for an evaluation and then a re-manufacture. This is not inexpensive but it seemed to be my best option.

I used their expedited service which cost extra but this is my busy season for an important part of my business. Anyway they had my tube for 5 business days and overnighted it to me last Friday.

Get this--I installed the tube--even with my tri-focals in about 25 minutes, turned on the machine and the red dot was on the spot. I sent a test job over and watched it engrave just like new and cut maybe faster than new. What about alignment? Well there was none to be done--I still can't believe that.

Well done Photovac.

BTW, I have no interest in Photovac nor did I receive any special pricing

Tony Lenkic
08-11-2014, 9:19 AM
Mike, glad to hear you have had positive experience with Photovac and all is well with your speedy.
Happy lasering!

Art Anderson
08-11-2014, 8:00 PM
Glad to hear it, Mike. Same here, dropped it in, tighten a few things, hook up a couple wires, and good as new. Again, I didn't even have to re-align the unit. They win the "Happy Happy" in my book. Plus, they're great folks to talk to!

Art
Northern Letterpress
Marquette, MI

Mike Null
08-11-2014, 9:46 PM
Rebuild, re-gas , re-manufacture of tubes has long been a major concern for many laser owners and I'm glad to find that these guys really know their stuff.

Bruce Volden
08-12-2014, 7:27 AM
Not to hi-jack this thread but, they are VERY professional in response to buying certain "tubes". I recently parted out 2 LMI's with Synrad tubes and received funds as they promised on their website! I guess I need to modify my signature now?

Bruce

Keith Outten
08-12-2014, 7:38 AM
Mike,

This is good news and I know you are pleased having your performance back up to the original level again. Its like having a new machine.

Mike Null
08-12-2014, 7:53 AM
Keith

I can't explain it other than the new tube optics but my engraving results on text are really sharp--better than before. And I run most of my laminates at 333 dpi.

Paul Phillips
08-12-2014, 11:11 AM
Great info to have, nice to know that there is a reasonable alternative out there. Hey Mike, any chance you could give us a ballpark price or hint on what the cost was so we have a point of reference compared to other companies?
Thanks

Michael Kowalczyk
08-12-2014, 4:02 PM
Glad to hear it was a great experience for you Mike Null. Mine was not an anomaly.
Mine is running like new also possibly a touch better but after it served me 11 plus years it is hard to remember the settings from 2003.
I had to send my power supply also so they could tweak it there. It was around 2,100.00 +- plus shipping.

Hope it helps others also.

AL Ursich
08-12-2014, 7:17 PM
I also sold them 4 old laser tubes and got a check quickly. AOK

Mike Null
08-12-2014, 8:19 PM
Mike

You got the family discount, I paid $2800. And I am happy with the result especially given the cost of a new tube.

I believe each tube mfr and size is quoted separately.

Michael Kowalczyk
08-13-2014, 2:42 PM
Mike you did say you had yours expedited. Mine was sent by freight carrier and I built special crates for the laser tube and the power supply for the journey.

Yes each one is quoted on it's own because it depends on what they have to do or what brand it is.
if it's just a recharge it's $$$, if it needs electronics it's $$$$, if it's a synard it's $$$, if it's a coherent it's $$$$ (not sure on spelling)
Glad you are as happy with yours as I am with mine.