PDA

View Full Version : New Jet 1221 vs used Oneway 1018

kevin nee
08-10-2014, 11:37 AM
I am looking for a dedicated small stuff lathe. (mandrel items)
I found a used Oneway 1018 (they are discontinued) but parts
are available. I am also looking at the new Jet 1221. I have a
Powermatic for other projects. Any advise would be welcome.
Close to the same price. Thanks in advance, Kevin

Thom Sturgill
08-10-2014, 11:57 AM
For mandrel items the 1018 would probably be fine, but out of production would be a slight issue. I am not particularly familiar with that model. I had a Jet 1220VS and loved the machine. The new 1221 looks to be a major improvement, fixing issues like lack of RPM readout, switch location, and ease of belt adjustment. You would have a warrantee on the Jet, and Jet provides good support as you probably know with a Powermatic.

Nicolas Silva
08-10-2014, 12:28 PM
I've had and used my 1018 for about 18 years with no issues. It may be discontinued but I don't think that will ever be an issue.
If the motor goes out - I can get a new motor. Doesn't have to be from oneway. Break a belt? Belts are commonplace.
If I drop and damage the mandrel - mandrels are available from anyone.
The things are very well built. Mine has survived 3 moves in 10 years. You'd have to TRY to break something on it for something to go wrong.
if there isn't a big price difference, I'd go with the 1018. Cheers!

Steve Peterson
08-10-2014, 12:58 PM
I have a Oneway 1224 and everything about it appears to be of the best quality. I think the 1018 is nearly identical to the 1224 with a lot of shared parts. The motor and controller appear identical. The headstock and tailstock would be 1" shorter, but those are not likely to break. My guess is that the internal mechanisms and bearings are the same. The banjo might also be the same. The 1224 has a 2 speed pulley that allows more torque for roughing 10-12" bowls. The 1hp motor is a bit small for roughing out items close to the max range of the machine, but you are already covered since you have a Powermatic.

If you can find a used Oneway in good shape for the same price as a Jet 1221, then it is a good deal. It is a great deal if it comes with a bunch of tools. You should be able to recover all your money by selling the Oneway, but may only get about half of the price you will pay for the Jet.

My vote is for the Oneway.

Steve