PDA

View Full Version : shaper motor bogging down

Richard Schilling
08-09-2014, 9:47 PM
I have a Delta 43-379 shaper, ser no 98C93028, 230v, 11.8 amps. I used it a month ago for doors user typical (and new) cope and pattern cutters on poplar and ran everything at full 3/8 depth no problem. Just ran some doors and suddenly using soft maple the machine was bogging down on cope cuts, and when I used my baby power feeder at lowest 10fpm setting, the machine actually stopped! So I had to do two cuts. Some parts I had to do manually and when I went slow it would cut fine, but I could tell that the motor would stop if I went any faster. Impossible to get motor specs as motor plate is visible but impossible to read. Thanks, Delta.
Looked inside magnetic on/off switch and it is factory new; looked inside the box bolted to the motor with the reversing switch and that is also factory new; capacitors look new (no leaking) but they could be bad.
Machine has very little use. Did full cuts on cherry several years ago with no trouble.
Motor starts up fine, reversing works. Sounds ok.
Please help! No amount of googling yields anything but parts lists for this machine, but without any motor details.
Thanks.

Lee Schierer
08-09-2014, 10:03 PM
It sounds like low voltage. Turn on your shaper on and measure the voltage on the same outlet the shaper is plugged into.

Bill Orbine
08-09-2014, 10:13 PM
Loose belt or cutter not tightened down properly are two other I can think aside from possible electrical issues.

Erik Loza
08-09-2014, 11:42 PM
Dull cutterhead?

Erik Loza
Minimax USA

Mark Bolton
08-10-2014, 8:25 AM
Wondering about loose belt myself. Can often present like the motor is stalling.

Dennis Ford
08-10-2014, 8:30 AM
Since you mentioned capacitor(s), this may be a capacitor start, capacitor run motor. A bad run capacitor might be the problem, they often go bad without external symptoms.

John T Barker
08-10-2014, 9:37 AM
'm reading your description of what happened and some of the responses here. When it slowed or stopped was it the cutter or motor that stopped?

Richard Schilling
08-10-2014, 10:38 AM
Loose belt or cutter not tightened down properly are two other I can think aside from possible electrical issues.

Loose belt! The belt tightener was loose, all I had to do was re-tension it. Somewhat embarrassed--I'm good at using machines but very poor at diagnosing or fixing them!

Thank you very much.

Rich