PDA

View Full Version : Unisaw motor running hot, but running

Todd Burch
08-09-2014, 8:08 PM
I don't think it's the bearings. When the belts are off, the arbor spins nice and smooth. 5HP motor. 220V.

I have a 20' cord on it, and, for now, a 50' extension cord out to the temporary power pole. Think it could be voltage loss?

How hot is it? When I've been using the dado blade for ~15 minutes, and go to put the regular blade back on, I have to "hot potato" the blades and chippers. They are hot. I don't think I could hold the arbor it's so hot. The top of the saw 9cast iron table) is hot too.

It's also 95 degrees where I'm cutting too.

What do you think?

I did see a sign where previous owner (I bought this @ auction a month or so ago) has been into one of the 2 capacitor banks wrapping the motor.

Todd

Ray Newman
08-09-2014, 8:25 PM
What first came to my mind: what is the wire gauge of the 50' extension cord?

Cary Falk
08-09-2014, 8:27 PM
If the blades are hot it's not the motor unless the belts are super hot. Maybe the belts are misaligned or too tight. My guess would be arbor bearings even though they spin freely. I have had a planer motor run really hot once and it didn't treansfer up through the belts to make the upper pulley really hot.

Todd Burch
08-10-2014, 12:01 AM
I can get the gauge tomorrow, but I think I sized it right. I bought bulk cord and put ends on it. I'll also feel the motor itself to see if I can isolate the heat source a bit more.

It makes sense that it might be the arbor, since the heat wouldn't transfer through the belts (or I wouldn't think it would, anyways). This is some serious heat.

Todd

Charles Lent
08-10-2014, 9:40 AM
The arbor being hot indicates to me that you probably have arbor bearing problems. The arbor of a Unisaw is connected to the motor via rubber belts, so you will need to check the motor case for it's temperature, not by touching the arbor.

Charley