PDA

View Full Version : World's smallest CNC dust shoe

Phil Thien
08-09-2014, 12:51 PM
I thought I'd post this as inspiration to others trying to accomplish clean routing with their miniature CNC router.

I have tried several approaches to a dust shoe, but they all tended to be bulky and limited my use of an already very small table. So I mostly directed a hose by hand (ugh!).

So I came up with this approach using some PVC pipe (Menards actually carried S&D in 3/4" pipe, which has a larger internal cross-section than schedule 40).

The air movement past the bit helps to cool the bit. I can touch the bit immediately after 20-30 minutes of use and it is hardly even what I'd call warm.

Nothing escapes while routing wood, anything launched by the bit is grabbed by the shoe.

I will probably make a second one with a brush bottom for when I work with aluminum as the aluminum chips can be trouble to contain.

This is all PVC. I used a 1" to 3/4" Tee to make the bit surround, two elbows, and the S&D. I had to do some minor trimming of the tee and elbows to make it all fit.

But I'm sure glad I don't have to hold onto that hose any more.

Bruce Page
08-09-2014, 1:50 PM
Pretty slick. Does it swing out for bit changing?

Phil Thien
08-09-2014, 1:56 PM
Pretty slick. Does it swing out for bit changing?

It pops off at the elbow near the vertical pipe. I only need about a quarter inch between the bit and the work to slip it off.

Jason Beam
08-09-2014, 4:52 PM
Nicely done, phil! That little machine is adorable, too!

Containing the aluminum really is a bear on my machine, too ... should put a bunch of magnets around the opening to try to slow down the chips with eddy currents :D

Mike vonBuelow
08-09-2014, 5:42 PM
+1 - nice !

Phil Thien
08-09-2014, 6:02 PM
Nicely done, phil! That little machine is adorable, too!

Containing the aluminum really is a bear on my machine, too ... should put a bunch of magnets around the opening to try to slow down the chips with eddy currents :D

LOL, if you get that working please let me know!

The first time I cut aluminum it looked like it was snowing in the shop. What a mess!

Ted Reischl
08-11-2014, 4:08 PM
Nice job, quite creative!