PDA

View Full Version : Palm Sander?

Al Launier
08-09-2014, 10:53 AM
Looking for a recommendation for a decent palm sander - can go electric or pneumatic (not sure which would be better?). Application "wood" primarily be for finishing small projects after semi-rough sanding with the Ridgid Edge/Spindle sander using 150 grit belt or sleeves (couldn't find finer grit for this sander).
Thanks for your thoughts.

Judson Green
08-09-2014, 11:18 AM
This is what I've got and its served me well.

I think its called Speed-bloc.

Rick Potter
08-09-2014, 12:53 PM
I have three. Love my Milwaukee random orbit from HD. Just got a PC brushless random orbit....so far so good. Got an inexpensive straight line (square paper) by Rigid. All three have dust ports and work well using a small shop vac. Sold my Bosch random orbit, because I liked the Milwaukee so well.

I have an old Speed Blok like above. It is a great sander, but mine has no dust port, so I only use it outside.

Rick P

Mike Hollingsworth
08-09-2014, 1:29 PM
Ridgid palm sander is junk.
Been very happy with other Ridgid products.

joseph f merz
08-16-2014, 1:05 PM
this thred sure did not catch alot of attention .i have had many over the years .only use random orbital now . all my sanders hook up to vac's .not only cleaner air but longer disc life and faster sanding time .they are different . that brushless portacable sounds like a worth while purchase ,good reviews . you never said how you intend to use it and how much . you can spend alot more and go festool and then there are better/more expensive then that . presently in the 5" I keep a bosch in the work truck for field use .it is impressively fast and aggressive .in the shop i have a festool ,which not as fast is more precise ,tends to not roll the edges on solfwood as the bosch can . go to supply house pick them up and feel them . read a few reviews . cannot say more without knowing what you want it for.

Glenn Samuels
08-16-2014, 10:16 PM
I don't mean to jump this thread but are there advantages to a pneumatic palm sander over an electric one?

Judson Green
08-17-2014, 9:24 AM
I used a pneumatic random orbit, its been awhile but compared it to an electric version.

I feel they are faster and smaller.

I can't recall with certainty if it was quieter or vibrated less. Both required hearing protection. With the air compressor constantly running I guess the electric one could be considered quieter.

They did require an occasionly oiling and sometimes, if you weren't carefull, the thing would belch out oil on your project.

At the shop I worked we had kinda thick hoses, sometimes those were difficult while sanding but with a different more flexible hose probably a wash with is electric brother.

I haven't seen a pneumatic sander with a vacuum attachment.

And of course you've got to have a capable air compressor to keep up with it.

Not sure about price points. Or life expectancy.

Both don't survive too many drops while running.

Depending on where you plan to use it I feel the electric version is more flexible. Meaning you could take up to the garage, down to the basement, use it at that remodeling project for your SIL, loan it to your neighbor, and so on.

Paul McGaha
08-17-2014, 11:52 AM
This is what I've got and its served me well.

I think its called Speed-bloc.

I use that sander too for final sanding. Porter Cable #330:

http://www.rockler.com/porter-cable-speed-bloc-quarter-sheet-finishing-sander-330?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=&utm_content=pla&utm_campaign=PL&sid=V9146&gclid=CjwKEAjwpcGfBRDni__JqrTIqx4SJAB9BpSOKtuAzsHS QtAncB1I85re8-kBjPD-31UKZE0_1KkjHhoCUQDw_wcB

PHM

Dave Cav
08-17-2014, 3:55 PM
If you have enough air (10 HP, 60 gallon minimum) a Dynabrade ROS is absolutely the way to go. At least as far as I am concerned...and just about every commercial shop I have seen.

Andy Pratt
08-24-2014, 2:48 AM
klingspor, best value