PDA

View Full Version : LN small scraping plane- bigger than it looks

Malcolm Schweizer
08-08-2014, 8:39 AM
I bought a set of 98/99 LN side rabbet planes on eBay (gloat: cocobolo handles, half the price of new. End gloat.) The guy messages me to say he had goofed and sent the wrong item. I agreed to send it back, and he sent the right item. To send it back, I had to open it and see what it was to fill out customs documents. It turned out to be a LN small scraping plane. Well of course I had to check it out. It was much bigger than I expected, and much heavier. I did not use it- just looked at it and sent it back. The very next day I was looking at eBay and there is a small scraping plane with a good buy it now price. Surely this was meant to be, so I bought it.

I wish I had gotten this long ago, as it is perfect for cleaning up edge glued joints on strip built boats. I like the adjustable blade angle, although it is mostly a guess as to what angle you have it set for. It is very hefty, and I am posting this to show that it is larger than it looks in pictures. It is more the size of a block plane, but very thick casting and therefore very heavy in the hand (for the size). To me that is a good thing. I do still consider it a specialty tool because most would want a large scraping plane, but for me it serves a very good purpose in wood boat building. I also see this as a must have for the luthier. Anyone gluing up panels might find it beneficial for cleaning up glue joints. That said, you could still use a card scraper effectively, so I consider this tool a great useful luxury and not a must-have. Not knocking it at all, but it is for the guy that already has the basic tools and is now moving into the finer detail tools.

It it arrived just in time for two kayaks I am building with students in a boatbuilding class I am teaching. I am very glad I bought it and wish I had gotten it sooner. The picture shows it next to a LN #4 for size comparison. It is about 1.5 times bigger than I expected looking at the pictures online, hence the comparison shot. I always thought this was more slightly bigger than a thumb plane but it is more like a block plane in size. Note: photo taken before either plane got the full Malcolm treatment. Both are new eBay purchases and need to be tuned up, polished, sharpened, etc.

Malcolm Schweizer
08-08-2014, 8:57 AM
Note: it is backwards in the photo but I was comparing the knob size to give an idea of the size of the plane for viewers. The knob on this plane actually goes in the palm of your hand and there are notches in the side for the fingers.

Matthew N. Masail
08-08-2014, 10:41 AM
Hi Malcolm, Thanks for the comparison! I've been thinking of buying this one, or the no.80, for guitar work, can you compare the small scraper plane to a no.80? one thing I've noticed is that the small scraper shows up often on the bay, which got me thinking it might not be a good sign.

David Weaver
08-08-2014, 11:06 AM
I like it better than the big scraping planes. I have one, and only at this point use it on the bottoms of japanese planes, but when I did use it to scrape figured wood, it was easy enough to push and short enough that it actually took less time to use it on large panels, and was more comfortable to use for them than it was to use the large scraper planes (either the LN, LV or stanley - I've used them all). Especially if panels had sat for a day or a week before you had the time to finish scrape them all.

Plus it has the angle adjustment, so when the burr starts to wear, you can just advance the angle a little bit and keep scraping. I suppose it's the only lie nielsen plane I have left after having about 8 of them at one point.

Malcolm Schweizer
08-08-2014, 11:40 AM
Hello Matthew,

the #80 is a nice scraper because of the handles and because you don't burn your fingers as opposed to holding the scraper in-hand. The biggest differences are going to be size, blade thickness, and method of use. The #80 is more of a pulled scraper and the LN 212 is a pushed plane. The #80 in my opinion is more of a scraper holder. I would normally say get the larger 80 first, but specific to guitars the LN 212 would be ideal. I need to find the blade for mine, which was my grandfather's, but here are some comparisons between a LN 212, LN 85, Stanley 80, and a LN 9 1/2 block plane for size comparison.

Matthew N. Masail
08-09-2014, 1:26 PM
Wow, the 212 is much smaller than I Imagined! probably because the LV is super wide...

Thanks for the info. this thread got me looking at options and I noticed the LV Ball-Joint Scraper.... I wonder why no one talks about is? look very comfortable, although is has no sole.

Winton Applegate
08-09-2014, 9:46 PM
LN small scraping plane- bigger than it looks

LN large scraping plane
is . . .
well . . .
LARGE
I bought it when I was trying to tackle the tear out of the woods I talk about too much and too often.
Nope not what I needed.
I don't have much use for it though I like having it in my collection.
Who knows, maybe some day I will get all excited and do some marquetry.

Winton Applegate
08-10-2014, 1:27 AM
I was sitting so that the planes were end view and back lit. That reminded me just how wide this sucker is. That photo didn't come out so great but here are a few that may be of interest.

the last one just because it is pretty.

Malcolm Schweizer
08-10-2014, 3:24 AM
The large is certainly on my list after a few higher priority purchases. By the way, I just watched your video. Thanks for ruining bagels for me forever.

Chris Griggs
08-10-2014, 9:11 AM
Malcolm. I see you have the 85 also. How do you like it? Does it see much use? Do you find the lack of adjustable frog problematic?

Malcolm Schweizer
08-10-2014, 10:22 AM
I love the 85, but I have lost the blade. I need to get a new one. To me, as I said, it's more like a scraper holder, giving you handles to grip. Really a card scraper alone works just fine, but on an 18' kayak or 11' longboard a card scraper heats up quick.

Chris Griggs
08-10-2014, 10:46 AM
Hi Malcom, I think you are referring to the 80.

I was wondering about the LN 85 Cabinet Makers Scraper Plane?

Winton Applegate
08-10-2014, 12:59 PM
bagels
If you enjoyed that (?) try the movie. You will either never speak to me again or you will love it and watch it an embarrassing number of times.
I mean with lines like : "Who is going to believe this God bothering cyclops. Lets just roll her up in the rug and leave her by the side of the road."

The movie has lots of "offensive" language (but then so does real life). Hilarious. absolutely Hilarious.
He was a prisoner of the US military for sixty years. Picked up a bit of language there some where. Actually SHE's the one. She is letting her self learn to cuss for the first time. She takes it way over the top and into outer space.
"Look Ruth . . . cursing's fun but you got to learn to pick your moments."
The movie pokes fun at about everything we humans take "seriously".

I ignored the movie for a long time , as I do most new movies. Give me an old black and white anytime. Especially a Bogart or the silly sparkler in a model hanging from a string sci/fis. I am totally hung up on those.
Here's another line from the movie :
"Nah, look, just because your truth isn't a true truth doesn't mean there is no truth Ruth."
"That's easy for you to say."
"Actually it's not."

Malcolm Schweizer
08-10-2014, 3:26 PM
Hi Malcom, I think you are referring to the 80.

I was wondering about the LN 85 Cabinet Makers Scraper Plane?

Derp!!! I blame lack of coffee- sorry. The LN 85 is a beautiful tool, but I often wish for the large scraping plane instead. I got the 85 primarily for use on lapstrake boats, but unless you are needing to get into an edge or for some reason scrape a rabbet, the large scraping plane is wider and may suit you better. That said, this plane is a dream to use, has nice heft, and is a comfortable size. It certainly does not chatter- love the feel of it.

Chris Griggs
08-10-2014, 9:22 PM
Derp!!! I blame lack of coffee- sorry. The LN 85 is a beautiful tool, but I often wish for the large scraping plane instead. I got the 85 primarily for use on lapstrake boats, but unless you are needing to get into an edge or for some reason scrape a rabbet, the large scraping plane is wider and may suit you better. That said, this plane is a dream to use, has nice heft, and is a comfortable size. It certainly does not chatter- love the feel of it.

Good to know. Thanks for the info.