PDA

View Full Version : So you think that YOU have problems!!

Dale Thompson
07-05-2005, 10:51 PM
Hi Folks,
Herein lies the problem. My daughter and SIL have put a roughed-in fireplace in their lower-level rec room/home theatre. They expect ME (moi, mineself, etc.) to finish the thing with an acceptable front. :eek:

The main problem is that they would like turned spindles to act as molding from the floor to the top of the the unit. They will have tiles set from the floor to about 6" above the fireplace opening. From there on up, I am expected to provide a series of narrow horizontal raised panels and then vertical flat panels from there to the ceiling. The latter is not a problem (WELL - except for a klutz like me). :D

Bottom line: The angle between the front of the fireplace drywall and the "wing" wall is 45 degrees. That is where the "spindle molding" is supposed to be to cover the tile joints and the panel joints. :eek: Do I turn the spindle first and then cut out the 45 degree angle or do I try to cut the 45 degree angle out first and then turn the remaining semi-square. :confused:
I've never tried the latter but I think that it may work withe REALLY sharp chisels! :confused:

The projects that my daughter has "demanded" of me over the past several years have forced me to learn of relearn a number of neat WWing procedures. :)

The REAL lesson that I have learned, however, is that the ancient tribes who disposed of their female offspring where far more advanced than than WE will ever be! :D ;)

Dale T.

Charlie Plesums
07-05-2005, 11:05 PM
I haven't had exactly that problem (yet, thankfully), but it sounds like the traditional one of make the blank first, then fill the gap in the blank with another piece (maybe the one you cut out), glued in place with a sheet of paper in the middle of the glue joint, so the paper can split apart after the turning is complete.

Some people don't trust the glue while turning, so make the spindle a little longer, and screw the filler piece in place, or wrap some wire around the ends to avoid flying fillers.

Theoretically you could turn the spindle without a filler piece, but I wouldn't want to bet on the amount of tear out, etc. at the edge. When I turned a square bowl, I ended up having to turn in reverse to reduce the tear out on one of the edges.

Dale Thompson
07-05-2005, 11:58 PM
[QUOTE=Charlie Plesums]I haven't had exactly that problem (yet, thankfully), but it sounds like the traditional one of make the blank first, then fill the gap in the blank with another piece (maybe the one you cut out), glued in place with a sheet of paper in the middle of the glue joint, so the paper can split apart after the turning is complete.

(QUOTE)

Charlie,
I've got a REAL strong hunch that you are right on this one. In all probability, that will be my approach. :)

I think, however, that I will take a piece of scrap and try the pre-turned cut out version just in case it works. :eek: My skew has been REALLY friendly to me lately! :) In any event, I will have my face shield on when I try this rather stupid trick. ;)

I keep reminding myself that I am not talented enough to make a REAL project. :o My place in life is to make scrap! :) Anything else is just a stroke of luck. :cool: :o I set the bar so low that I have to dig a trench to lower it! :eek: :)

Dale T.

Alan Tolchinsky
07-06-2005, 12:05 AM
MOVE and do it fast! You should be taking it easy these days. :) Or just tell the kids that you have become allergic to most wood species and just can't work with the stuff anymore. I'm going with the latter with my kids and they don't even ask much of me. But it's always good to have a top notch lie ready and available. :) Alan in Md.

Kelly C. Hanna
07-06-2005, 12:10 AM
I would turn the spindles first, then make a sled to cut out the 45* angle on the TS.

Jim McCarty
07-06-2005, 12:46 AM
I agree with Kelly. Jim

Dale Thompson
07-06-2005, 9:03 PM
Allan, I've already moved three times and they keep finding me. :eek: If THEY were sent after Osama Bin Laden, he would be captured in less than 24 hours. :) I've also told them that I am allergic to all wood and all of its by-products - even cardboard. Do you think that they CARE? What a JOKE!! That night, they made me sleep in a cardboard box with their dog. The dog got a treat - I didn't!! :( I also told the daughter and SIL that I am allergic to both them and their two rugrats. I just got back from their place down in the Milwaukee area. I tried sneezing for four solid days. All they did was stick kleenex in my nose and show me their next list of projects that I am expected to complete - with ALL due haste!! ;) :D

Kelly, with the 45 deg angle, it turns out that I need a cutout of 135 degrees. I'm starting with some 2x2 rough Oak sticks. If they want a "larger" spindle, I will have to do some "glue-ups" anyway and will probably do the paper/glue thing. If they want smaller spindles, I will do the "sled" cutout thing. Either way, with my incredible expertise, I'm sure that I will have a lot of nice OAK scrap for the upcoming winter. I've got to hurry, though. Winter up here starts on August 2nd! ;) :cool: :eek: :eek:

Dale T.

Kelly C. Hanna
07-06-2005, 9:39 PM
Sometimes the hardest thing you think you'll do turns out to be fairly easy. Just do what I do and stand back a bit and stare at it for a few minutes...the problem usually solves itself in your noggin shortly after that. :D

Steve Clardy
07-06-2005, 10:06 PM
I've done several wall 45's turning's. Just turn the whole blank to shape, and then build a two-sided sled with ends to fasten the turning two, and cut the waste out on your table saw. You'll find the cutout, glue paper thing won't work very well after you mount it in the lathe, and the lathe points want to seperate the pieces a little too early. Or at least thats my experience.

Steve

Dale Thompson
07-06-2005, 10:36 PM
...the problem usually solves itself in your noggin shortly after that. :D

Kelly,
Your statement is VERY unfair and discriminatory! :( You are assuming that there is something in my noggin?? Most folks in these here parts use my right ear to focus their flashlights by aiming through my left ear. I am in constant demand by local physics teachers who want to use my skull to prove that a feather and a steel ball fall at the same rate in a vacuum. :) I'm a local celebrity! :D Fame is NOT an easy burden for me to bear - I'm doing my best! ;) :o

Dale T.

Bill Grumbine
07-07-2005, 7:49 AM
Hi Dale

Lucky, lucky you! I have done numerous split turnings, where the pieces are cut, and then stuck back together and turned before being split again. I have not usually experienced the problem Steve has had, although I have had one of my own from time to time. I like to use double faced tape, and if the stuff is too thick, I will get tearout on the trailing edge. But by using it, I get a very good bond that comes apart relatively easy with the application of mineral spirits.

Good luck with it.

Bill

Dale Thompson
07-07-2005, 9:42 PM
Hi Dale

But by using it, I get a very good bond that comes apart relatively easy with the application of mineral spirits.

Good luck with it.

Bill

Bill,
Thanks for the hint! The mineral spirit thing sounds a lot easier than a mallet and a chisel. :)

Thanks again!

Dale T.

Jim Andrew
07-07-2005, 10:41 PM
I have used a manufactured newel against the wall, and just split in half on my table saw. They are usually thicker than I can handle with one cut, so I just
turn it end for end and run her through again. You just need to find a picture
similar to what she wants and it will come to you how to build it. Just remember
not to put the mantle too close to the firebox. There should be something in the codebook or directions with the fireplace as to the exact measurements.