PDA

View Full Version : Fruits and Nuts

John Hart
07-05-2005, 10:41 PM
Well, here's my accomplishments for the last two days. The pens are an experiment in laminations. They are Black Walnut, Black Cherry and the Center Bands are Brazillian Cherry and Bahama Cherry. Not real happy with the checker board pen....but the fit on the center band was great. I think I got that part worked out.

The bowl is Beech with a little figure...and the Vase is a plain ole piece of Ash that nearly beat me to death.

Thanks for lookin'

Dick Parr
07-05-2005, 10:47 PM
They all look great John, that's a nice looking piece of ash there. :D

Bill Stevener
07-05-2005, 11:18 PM
Really, Really nice John,

I thought you said that you can't do hollow forms. The one of ash looks great in my window.

Bill.>>>>>>>>>:)

Mark Singer
07-05-2005, 11:35 PM
John,

You know your fruits and nuts! Schlamaca you are still learning....Very nice work! I see progress and skill in each piece!

Carole Valentine
07-06-2005, 12:33 AM
Good work John. I especially like the vase.

John Hart
07-06-2005, 6:35 AM
Thanks Y'all

The Ash vase really beat me up because I don't have the right tools....yet.:) But after seeing Bill's homemade pieces....soon, very soon. The inside is kinda rough.
Yeah Carole...I see all these nice pictures people post and I just have to try emulate as best I can! :p

By the way Mark...I built a special kiln for the Schlamaca....just in case I trip over some!

Martin Shupe
07-06-2005, 8:00 AM
I really like the form on the ash hollow form. Very classic.

Mike Ramsey
07-06-2005, 10:32 AM
Love the vase, a form that i really like. The bowl is also good looking to as is all of your work I've seen posted. I have the same problem with hollowing and need better tools. I don't see how you find the time to do all the turning that you do!
I bet that the good folks at that Amish sawmill have never had a cleaner scrap area :) ....I've had my Pen kit for 3 weeks now and just can't seem to get motivated especially with a bowl blank lying anywhere in sight :) .
Great job John...

John Hart
07-06-2005, 1:35 PM
Thanks again guys...You are too kind.

...I don't see how you find the time to do all the turning that you do!...
I make sure..someway...somehow, that each day has at least a little bit of woodshop in it. I work so much that I have to force the playtime to make sure I don't burn out. My dad worked all the time so that's my baseline...But he was always crabby.....So in order to keep this youthful and impish grin on my face....I play too.

...I bet that the good folks at that Amish sawmill have never had a cleaner scrap area :)
Sheesh...that place never runs out...I wonder what they did before we came along!!

Ernie Nyvall
07-06-2005, 6:13 PM
Good work John!! I like them all, but as the others, I really like the ash vase. The beating you took was well worth it to me. :rolleyes:
That checkered pen is quite busy, but certainly a triumph in the method.

Ernie