PDA

View Full Version : Woodhaven Cut-off Sled or Deluxe Sled?

Joe Unni
07-05-2005, 10:14 PM
Hey all,

I've got some panel work coming up and I've no time to build my own sled. Has anyone experience with either of these?

I have their miter guage and have found it to be fantastic! It would be my hope that their other stuff would be of the same quality.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance,
-joe

Harold Lynch
07-06-2005, 7:49 AM
I don't have the woodhaven, but I have the dubby by Inline Industries. And it works very well. I found it very easy to setup, and the people at Inline very nice to work with.

Mike Tempel
07-06-2005, 7:59 AM
I too have neither but instead have the Jointech Smart Miter sled and also have been very pleased with it as both a cutoff sled as well as a miter gauge with extremely good repeatability for cutting different pieces of the same length.

Charles McKinley
07-06-2005, 10:11 AM
Another vote for the Jointech.

The set up is super easy.

The sled is accurate both on the angle and the stopblock for doing repeat cuts. If you get the jointech get or make the table for the other side of the blade to catch the drop piece. It allows you to pull the drop back away from the blade for safe removal.

Ken S. has an excellent write up about it here. He uses it for his segmented bowls.

Chris Christopher
07-06-2005, 11:27 AM
Let me be another vote for Jointech -- You will not go wrong with their Smartmiter

Jeff A. Smith
07-06-2005, 12:01 PM
Then let me be a vote against Jointech.

The table is almost sawn in half, and is weak. Look at it. There's an arc cut in it that is almost end-to-end. Cut another 1.5" at either end, and it's in two pieces -- it flexes... which is no big deal when it's flat on a tablesaw, but mine is warped. They want $92 to fix it after I send it back to them.

Compare that to the Incra warranty offered by Woodpeckers. "If it fails during normal use, we'll replace it, period."

On the one hand, you've got a case (Jointech) where the item has been used very little, and they want $92 to fix it. On the other, a company that says they'll replace it unless you're doing something out of the ordinary with it. That's a huge difference.

I have emails I can show anyone who wants evidence of either of these positions. I have the Smart Miter and their fence system, but me and Jointech are through.

Jeff Smith
Athens, AL

Ken Salisbury
07-07-2005, 7:05 AM
Another vote for the Jointech.

Ken S. has an excellent write up about it here. He uses it for his segmented bowls.

I love my Jointech Miter. I use it for much more than segmented bowls. My CMS has been collecting cobwebs since I purchased the Jointech.

Here is a link (http://www.oldrebelworkshop.com/smartmiter.htm) to my initial review of the product.

Steven J Corpstein
07-07-2005, 9:32 AM
I have the Incra 5000 sled and really like it. If you compare it to any of the other commercially available sleds, it has the greatest capacity with regards to width and it is dead accurate for angles as small as a 1/2 of degree.

Joe Unni
07-22-2005, 8:47 AM
For those interested. I recently purchased the Woodhaven Large Cutoff Sled.

http://www.woodhaven.com/Images/4951%20lg.jpg

Very well packaged.
Instructions clear, complete and easy to follow.
All parts included and undamaged.
Fit and finish very nice.
Assembly completed in about 1.5 hours.
Slides fit slot with a little slop.
I found the included nylon buttons used to remove the slop, where more aggrivation than not having them. I get impatient with that kind of thing. I suspect that if I had spent more time with them, they probably would have worked well.
Once complete - the cuts were fantastic!

I can honesty say that having this sled has improved my woodworking considerably. Coupled with EZSmart, I've never been able mill sheet goods as quickly or accurately with repeatability.

As part of the current project, I had to cobble and extension stop for this sled which worked great, but after experiencing how quickly the sheet good milling process went, I ordered a bunch of the different accessories.

I hope this is helpful.

Regards,
-joe

John Keane
07-22-2005, 9:31 PM
Check out Woodpeckers Incra miter sled. Mine was dlvrd yesterday so I haven't gotten to do anything other than check it for cosmetics and layout. Looks good so far. WP price $139 plus $12 shipping to left coast

frank shic
07-22-2005, 10:59 PM
i recommend: NONE OF THE ABOVE! a sliding table attachment is SO MUCH better than any miter sled or gauge could ever be - as long as you can afford it! i just recently installed the delta sliding table attachment for $300 and cut about 80 panels for a set of kitchen cabinets. otherwise, the sled's probably your best bet. good luck!

Dan Stuewe
07-23-2005, 12:00 AM
Check out Woodpeckers Incra miter sled. Mine was dlvrd yesterday so I haven't gotten to do anything other than check it for cosmetics and layout. Looks good so far. WP price $139 plus $12 shipping to left coast

at a quick look this seems to be a great way to get a miter sled if you already have a nice miter gauge.

http://www.woodpeck.com/incramiterexpress.html