PDA

View Full Version : 3mm 12x24 ply

Mike Audleman
08-07-2014, 3:23 PM
Anyone got a decent bulk seller for these?

I have bought out 2 local Menards.
http://www.menards.com/main/home-decor/crafts/craft-specialty-woodworking/3mm-x-12-x-24-craft-plywood/p-2202056-c-12188.htm

Would be nice to find a cheaper price and be able to order a bulk of them rather than one at a time at the local stores.

Menards sells a 12x12
http://www.menards.com/main/home-decor/crafts/craft-specialty-woodworking/3mm-x-12-x-12-craft-plywood/p-2202055-c-12188.htm
But its a lot more expensive (by the sq-ft) than the larger sheet is.

It doesn't have to be this exact brand. Just any 3mm bb/b or better ply.

Mike Audleman
08-07-2014, 4:05 PM
Hey, while I got the thread...any leads on 3mm MDF in 12x24 ish sizes?

Scott Shepherd
08-07-2014, 4:08 PM
Mike, have you tried this place....

http://www.alpineplywood.com

You'll probably have to buy 5' x 5' sheets, but you'd save some serious money. Probably enough to buy a saw if you needed one :)

They should be local to you.

Mike Audleman
08-07-2014, 4:29 PM
Didn't see anything on their site about thicknesses. Doubt they carry these thin sheets given the rest of their lineup appears to be interior design and that involves much thicker panels. They also seem geared toward wholesaling rather than sales to individuals like myself.

Couldn't hurt a phone call. Silver Spring drive is up on the northwest side of Milwaukee and I am on the southeast but if they got what I need, it would save bucks on shipping to drive up to get it.

And I will have to mention their poor photoshopping ability. Man..that truck on their banner was SO not on that road. The shadow is under it, the rest of the shadows are from right to left indicating the sun was low and to the right yet there is a specular highlight on the grill showing the sun was behind the photographer of the truck. And if you look close, there is NO DRIVER! Rofl!

Mike Audleman
08-07-2014, 4:47 PM
They do sell 5'x5' sheets of the 3mm for around $15 per and 26+ at $12 per. They also have 4x8 MDF for $11ish a sheet.
And yea, they have a willcall desk for walkins :)

Sux, is they are 5' wide. I can't get 5' wide in my pickup (Esclade EXT). 4x8 is a go but 5' wide isn't. Guess I could bring some 2x4's and set them at an angle to support the 5x5 sheets at an angle in the bed. This is thn stuff and likely would crack if unsupported.

Scott Shepherd
08-07-2014, 6:07 PM
Great Mike! I mentioned it because we buy ours from a place that sells that same stuff. Take a saw with you and an extension cord :)

Some places will even cut it a little (they don't want to cut it all to size, but don't mind cutting a piece here and there).

Glad it worked out, I think you'll be happy doing it like that. You'll get a lot more product for less money. Just be aware, that stuff bows like nobody's business, especially in sheet form, so make sure it's stored flat with weights on if it you can.

Pete Simmons
08-07-2014, 6:09 PM
Michael Kowalczyk <displayideas@sbcglobal.net

Not sure of size or price but give him a try.

12 x 24 $70.86/box

25 sheets in a box

Nicolas Silva
08-07-2014, 8:50 PM
Here is a source I've gotten some from: http://www.thewoodcraftshop.com/store/Search.aspx?searchTerms=plywood&submit=true

Mike Null
08-08-2014, 7:29 AM
Michael Kowalczyk is a member here and sells good ply. I have bought from him more than once.

Mike Audleman
08-08-2014, 10:46 AM
Thanks guys! Yall are a great help getting started with supplies.

The price that Mr. Kowalczyk has is better than the local store. At least at face value. Shipping may alter that though.

Menards Local Stores (most expensive):
3mm X 12" X 24" Craft Plywood $3.49 (2 square feet) (http://www.menards.com/main/home-decor/crafts/craft-specialty-woodworking/3mm-x-12-x-24-craft-plywood/p-2202056-c-12188.htm)
$0.19 tax
$3.68
/2 = $1.84 sqFt

The Woodcraft Shop (cheaper)
10/PCS - 12" X 24" - 1/8" ITALIAN POPLAR $31.95 (http://www.thewoodcraftshop.com/store/p/8-10-PCS-12-X-24-1-8-ITALIAN-POPLAR-PLYWOOD.html)
Shipping ??? Won't say.
$31.95/10 = $3.19 /sheet
/2 = $1.59 sqFt
Its Poplar not birch. Popler is a much more blond wood than birch. Both good and bad there. Wish they had walnut 3mm ply.
If shipping is $5 or more, cheaper to buy Menards.

Mr. Kowalczyk (cheaper)
12 x 24 $70.86/box (//displayideas@sbcglobal.net)
25 sheets in a box
Shipping?
$70.86/25 = $2.83 /sheet
/2 = $1.42 sqFt
So, if shipping is close to $20 or more, its cheaper buying it from Menards stores.

Alpine (cheapest):
5'x5' = $15.60 /25 = $0.62 sqFt (http://www.alpineplywood.com/)
If I buy 26 at a time...
$12 /25 = $0.48 sqFt (can't remember exact price, but it was 12 something)
Slight hassle with 5x5 sheets getting them home. But clearly worth the effort due to the cost savings.

So, does anyone have cheaper sources?

Glen Monaghan
08-08-2014, 7:03 PM
Check whether Alpine has a panel saw and will cut the sheets down for you. The place I buy 5x5s from doesn't charge for the cutting, and cuts full sheets for me to nominal 12"x24" pieces (plus a 12"x12" left-over). Even if you have to pay for cuts, it probably would be worth it. If they won't cut to your bed size, maybe they will rip off a strip or two so you can fit the pieces into your vehicle.

Michael Kowalczyk
08-11-2014, 9:09 PM
Thanks guys.
I can't post prices here but Mike Audleman is not correct. The one he is using, Pete's, included shipping to a residential address (I think).
PM Me or go to the FOTC area and send me an email to get the CORRECT pricing and more info.

There are several things not taken into consideration... Travel time (to and from), Gas, accuracy of cuts, proper blade, storage, lack of packaging to protect it from elements (humidity) direction of grain, laser experience with exact same material. We use what we sell

Sorry could not remove the underline.
(http://www.sawmillcreek.org/member.php?130081-Mike-Audleman)

Mike Audleman
08-11-2014, 10:46 PM
Thanks guys.
I can't post prices here but Mike Audleman is not correct. The one he is using, Pete's, included shipping to a residential address (I think).
PM Me or go to the FOTC area and send me an email to get the CORRECT pricing and more info.

There are several things not taken into consideration... Travel time (to and from), Gas, accuracy of cuts, proper blade, storage, lack of packaging to protect it from elements (humidity) direction of grain, laser experience with exact same material. We use what we sell

Sorry could not remove the underline.

Rofl. I see what you mean by the underline :)

FYI, click inside the text (its a link) and click the break link icon on the toolbar. It will remove the underline (link).

Sending PM shortly.

The only price I had was one quoted to me.

Michael Kowalczyk
08-12-2014, 3:05 PM
Hey Mike,
Thanks for the "Break Link" info

PM sent back to you

James Cochrun
08-13-2014, 1:19 AM
I've been getting mine from Tower Hobbies. 3mm baltic birch. It's been cheaper than Michaels or Ben Franklin.

Jim Cochrun

Full Spectrum 5th Gen Hobby 40 watt

Michael Kowalczyk
08-13-2014, 2:33 PM
Jim,
If you are referring to me in your post above I will respectfully disagree. I went to Tower Hobbies website and they are more than twice as high. What brand are you getting and what size?
Revell, Midwest or Towers on label ? Let's use 3mm x 12 x 24 as a standard size...6 sheets is 26.94 plus shipping or 134.94 includes shipping. Not even close. Check for your self and use 25 sheets as the total sheet count
When you compare apples and oranges it tends to get a little sour.:eek:

Chuck Stone
08-13-2014, 3:20 PM
Jim,
If you are referring to me in your post above I will respectfully disagree.

Michael's is a hobby/craft store chain, similar to Hobby Lobby.

James Cochrun
08-14-2014, 9:24 PM
Jim,
If you are referring to me in your post above I will respectfully disagree. I went to Tower Hobbies website and they are more than twice as high. What brand are you getting and what size?
Revell, Midwest or Towers on label ? Let's use 3mm x 12 x 24 as a standard size...6 sheets is 26.94 plus shipping or 134.94 includes shipping. Not even close. Check for your self and use 25 sheets as the total sheet count
When you compare apples and oranges it tends to get a little sour.:eek:

Michael,

Sorry about that. I wasn't meaning you, I was referring to the store Michael's. Those type of stores are charging pretty much the same price for a 12"x12" that Tower Hobbies is charging for 12"x24". Do you have website or just email/message you for your pricing info? I love using the 3mm thickness birch but I don't like the prices that most of the stores here in Northern California are charging.

Jim Cochrun

Full Spectrum 5th Generation Hobby Laser, 40 watt
Corel Draw Suite X7

Lathes and other woodworking tools

Michael Kowalczyk
08-18-2014, 3:19 PM
Sorry but it was right below my post and since Michael's (the hobby store) was not mentioned above, I could only conclude that it was referring to me.

James Cochrun
08-19-2014, 12:55 AM
Michael.....No worries. I wasn't as clear in my post as I should have been. I'm just glad there are no hard feelings.

Jim

Michael Kowalczyk
08-19-2014, 2:24 PM
No Problem. Not that thin skinned :D

Ed Maloney
08-21-2014, 6:43 PM
Michael Kowalczyk <displayideas@sbcglobal.net

Not sure of size or price but give him a try.

12 x 24 $70.86/box

25 sheets in a box

I have been ordering from Mike for 6 years or so. Quick shipping and a quality product.

Mike Audleman
08-22-2014, 12:52 PM
Just got my package from Mike yesterday. All looks good.
27.50 for 16 sheets of 1/8" MDF White, Almond, Hardrock maple and Genuine Baltic Birch
2.50 Boxing fee
13.75 UPS ground shipping
43.75 total

Sent 4 sheets of each type (kinda a sample pack if you will). I really like the look of the ply. Its clean, knot and plug free, at least the outer veneer is.

The MDF is printed one side only. I should have asked if it was two sided. But, for the price, can't complain too hard :)

James Cochrun
09-15-2014, 12:06 AM
I've been a little busy with non-engraving stuff so please forgive me for not posting this sooner. I got my shipment of birch plywood from Mike. I love it. Not only is it a lower price than the hobby/craft stores I was going to, it is much better quality. Thanks so much Mike. I will be ordering from you again!!

Allan Wright
09-15-2014, 10:26 AM
I use a local hardwood wholesaler. I get 5'x5' arctic birch ply in 3mm and 6mm thicknesses. I then cut the sheets into blanks on my table saw. It's much more economical than buying pre-cut blanks.

If you're in New Hampshire, the wholesaler I use is Highland Hardwoods in Brentwood, NH. I highly recommend them.

Bert Kemp
09-15-2014, 10:54 AM
Woodworkers source has 3 and 6 mm BB decent price good quality.Plus they have an awesome website with all kinds of projects tips and tricks for woodworkers.

David Somers
09-15-2014, 11:02 AM
Michael K and Scott,

Would you guys mind giving a little description of the best way you have found to store good Plywood and other flat stock? When you say flat with weights, are you stickering for air flow? Or stacking it sheet against sheet? Or some other way?

Any thoughts for those of us who may not have the floor space to store sheet stock flat? And when you say flat I assume you mean horizontal.

And how much stock are you willing to have on hand? Perhaps not in terms of actual volume, but time? Have you found a 1 month supply does fine but a 2 month supply starts to become too variable with local changes in humidity? Stuff like that?

Is a large sheet more stable over time than 1/2 sheets, and 1/4 sheets? Or does it make a difference?

And while we are at it.....why is the sky blue, why is the grass green, and whyyyyyyyyy does Dave alwayyyyyyyyyyys ask so many darn questions? <grin>

I ask because I remember Dave Sheldrake talking about difficulties he was having with a bunch of Ply products that had taken on moisture from the local ambient air and really changed the lasing characteristics over time. Enough so that he could not count on his laser parameters from one sheet to the next, and even from the edge of a sheet to the center? Sounded like a pain in the patoot.

Dave

Mike Audleman
09-15-2014, 12:42 PM
Since I am working in a humid basement, I store mine packed in these:
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Space-Bag-Large-Dual-Use-Vac-or-Roll-Set-of-6/11085276

I have some 3/4 MDF that I cut to 12x24 and I sandwich the thinner ply and MDF between two sheets of the 3/4. I got some scrap beach towels and cut them larger than the bundle to help protect corners from poking through the vacbag. Then I pack it all inside the vacbag and give the shop-vac a run. The vacbag provides an air tight seal and also compresses the bundle keeping it flat. I can store it like this vertically or horizontally since the bag provides the "weight".

David Somers
09-15-2014, 1:42 PM
Interesting Mike, I had not thought of using those for wood storage. I just took a bunch off a boat that I used to store stuff in without mildewing so I have quite a few on hand. Great idea!

Dave

Michael Oswald
09-15-2014, 10:50 PM
I came here to make a post about finding a source for low priced 3mm Baltic birch and boom here it is already done for me. Mike Audleman I am just north and west of you, I sent an email off to Alpine and I think I am going to give them a try if they can cut the pieces down at all. Would you be interested in splitting an order of maybe 26 sheets to get the discounted price?

Mike Audleman
09-17-2014, 10:39 AM
I came here to make a post about finding a source for low priced 3mm Baltic birch and boom here it is already done for me. Mike Audleman I am just north and west of you, I sent an email off to Alpine and I think I am going to give them a try if they can cut the pieces down at all. Would you be interested in splitting an order of maybe 26 sheets to get the discounted price?

I would be game for that. Sending PM with contact info.