PDA

View Full Version : Pipe Tamper?

Marty Tippin
08-07-2014, 12:00 PM
Anyone ever made a "pipe tamper"?

Got a request from a friend to make one for him and not really sure how to proceed. Google says I might be able to use a spent .45 cal brass casing fitted on the end of a turned handle (http://www.hartleywoodcraft.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/pipe_tampers.jpg), but I wonder if there are other options?

Don Orr
08-07-2014, 1:20 PM
I made one many years ago for a nephew out of Cherry if I remember correctly. Simple spindle turning with a few details and a flat end to tamp the tobacco. Size about 3-4" long and diameter of pipe bowl-maybe 3/4" or so.

Kyle Iwamoto
08-07-2014, 1:22 PM
Can't be too complex. When I smoked a pipe, I used my finger, a key, anything handy. Think of a golf tee that is domed or flat, vice a recess. If I had to turn one, that is what I would turn. Just my $0.02.

terry mccammon
08-08-2014, 11:22 AM
I turn them all the time as I cannot seem to keep from losing them. I have threatened to make 1,000 and throw them all over the property. Make it about 2.5" inches long and around .5" in diameter at the business end. As said above you can think golf tee. But you can make them cylindrical with decoration, etc. Makes a nice doodad sort of gift if you know any pipe smokers. I never bother with protection of the end as it won't really char, just get dirty but a .45 cal casing makes sense and might be interesting to someone with an interest in firearms. I also make ash trays for my yard, shop, etc. out of failed bowl projects. They get dirty or slightly burned, I just throw them in the burn barrel with the rest of my work and make another. I would cup the end slightly.

Marty Tippin
11-30-2014, 6:52 PM
Finally got around to making a pipe tamper today. Nothing too challenging or spectacular, but I think it came out pretty good.

.44 magnum brass, overall length just under 3". Wood is cocobolo (I think). Finished with EEE and Shellawax.

Only thing I'm not totally happy with is the balance - too tail heavy. I probably should have cut about half the bullet casing off.