PDA

View Full Version : Full Face Shield that Travels Well

Dan Case LR
08-07-2014, 11:34 AM
I have a trip (flying commercial) coming up where I'll have to bring along a full face shield. I use the Uvex Bionic Shield in the shop and it's excellent, but bulky for travel--and I wonder if the baggage monkeys would allow it to survive inside a soft-side checked suitcase. Any suggestions for a full face shield that can travel well inside a suitcase? I'm thinking something that breaks down to a flatter form factor.

Thanks!

D.

Faust M. Ruggiero
08-07-2014, 11:55 AM
Do a search for 3M Polycarbonate face shield. Great protection and the shield can be removed from the hear band. Separately, I imagine they can travel well.
faust

Marty Tippin
08-07-2014, 11:56 AM
The Uvex Bionic should break down pretty easy for travel - take the clear plastic out and disconnect the head strap from the shield and away you go. Stuff it in your carry-on with clothing to pad around it and it should be fine.

Dan Case LR
08-07-2014, 10:37 PM
The Uvex Bionic should break down pretty easy for travel - take the clear plastic out and disconnect the head strap from the shield and away you go. Stuff it in your carry-on with clothing to pad around it and it should be fine.

Breaking down the Uvex like that doesn't really reduce the bulk very much. The frame takes up a lot of room and isn't collapsible.

D.

John Beaver
08-07-2014, 11:23 PM
I don't know the brand, but for traveling I just have a basic face shield where the polycarbonate comes out and lays flat. I put the poly piece between my clothes and just lay the head piece on top. It's Ansi Z87, or whatever the rating is supposed to be, and I have a couple of extra shields in case one gets messed up.