PDA

View Full Version : Epilog Helix 60W Died Today - Any Tips ?

Chris J Anderson
08-07-2014, 7:11 AM
Hi to All,

Our Epilog Helix 60W Laser stopped working today, and has left us in a real predicament with jobs to do in the next few days.

I was using it, finished a job and then turned it off as normal.

About an hour later had to do another small job.
Turned the machine on, sent the job to the laser, all ok.

Pressed start and the head is moving as normal, all works fine. but no laser beam.

The red dot pointer works, and the cover interlock is also working according to the LED's on the board on the RHS of the machine.

Are there any other things any of you can suggest that I can check before I order in another tube ?

This is the second tube in 5 ½ years, and this one has not done a lot of work, only started getting busy with it a few months ago.

I can handle a multimeter and understand electronics to a reasonable level, so any tech diagnosis tips would also help.

Any help or diagnosis tips would be sincerely appreciated.

Cheers,
Chris.

Steve Busey
08-07-2014, 8:51 AM
Yes, talk to tech support! :)

You said your interlocks check out. Does that include the front dropdown panel interlocks?

Tony Lenkic
08-07-2014, 8:56 AM
Chris sorry for your trouble. This sounds same issue as it was reported in another forum. Epilog concluded it is a tube failure and this guy is now on waiting list for replacement.
Give them a call so they can diagnose your system. Hope you get it sorted out quickly.
If you are down for extended time you may contact someone on the forum close to you to get your orders completed.
Good luck.

Chris J Anderson
08-07-2014, 9:33 AM
Thanks Steve / Tony.

Steve I wasn't aware of the interlocks on the front door, I'll check that out first up in the morning.

I've logged a support ticket with Epilog, waiting on response.

I am in Western Australia and the company I bought the machine from has dropped Epilog and gone to Trotec, so local support is minimal at best.

Its a bit hard too get other laser businesses to assist due to our location.

Thanks again,
Chris

Kev Williams
08-07-2014, 2:58 PM
Until you get going, consider calling your competition...

I do engraving for several engraving shops around here, for various reasons. Mostly because I'll go where others fear to tread ;) ...

It works out just fine for me. I do work others don't do, and in most cases, the other shops do things I don't do (like most awards, ring engraving, etc)- it ends up working okay, I get work, and if I get a request for something I don't do I'll have them call the other shop(s).

In your case, consider having another shop do the work for you, hopefully at a price where you can at least break even. If not, you'll still keep the current customer(s) happy, which is important.

Mike Null
08-07-2014, 4:24 PM
Not to derail the topic but Kev's point is a good one. My closest competitor is doing work for me this week as I'm having my tube re-manufactured. We have an agreed rate and we provide the art and material for the one doing the engraving. He happens to have the same machine as me--just coincidence.

Phil Noakes
08-07-2014, 4:42 PM
Chris,

Have you contacted Alfex I think they are in Melbane AU? They are the new Epilog distributor for Australia. Phone 1300 20 15 10.

I wish you the best of luck.

Phil Noakes
Rowmark

Chris J Anderson
08-07-2014, 7:22 PM
Hi Phil,
Yes, have done, thank you.
I knew they were new Epilog distributors, and am waiting on a price for a new tube.
None stocked in Australia :(
You would think with the number of machines around they might stock one...

48v at each power supply outlet, and all led's behaving as they should, so looks like the tube gone.

Thanks to all for your replies.

Cheers,
Chris

Chris J Anderson
08-08-2014, 9:02 AM
New tube on the way from USA.

Picked up a used Trotec Speedy 300 today to get me out of trouble and now have backup machine.

Now to edit my signature...