PDA

View Full Version : Powermatic jointer 053 missing cutterguard

John Dornfeld
08-06-2014, 9:51 PM
I recently purchased a powermatic jointer 053 off craigslist for 175.00. It's in great shape and runs perfectly. The seller has misplaced the cutter guard assembly during a recent move and although he is confident he will find it...I'm not. If he is not able to locate it, any thoughts on finding a replacement. On the ereplacement parts website it is listed as obsolete or no longer available. Looking for ideas. Any help you guys can give me would be appreciated. Hope I didn't waste 175.00.

Eric Shapin
08-06-2014, 10:11 PM
I would determine the diameter of the hole for the cutter head guard pivot bar, and see if a part from another machine will fit. I don't think this sort of component has changed very much over the years.

Mark Carlson
08-06-2014, 10:17 PM
I wonder if a 54 or 54a guard assembly would work. I have a 54a with a guard and could take some measurements if that would help.

~mark

Rick Lizek
08-07-2014, 12:26 AM
I've made pork chop guards out of plywood and a bolt for several jointers. Used a weight and pulley instead of a spring. Consistent tension when the fence is repositioned over the table.