PDA

View Full Version : Pine Bowl with Handles

Thomas Canfield
08-06-2014, 9:39 PM
This is a fairly crude Pine bowl, 17" across handles, 15"D x 3 - 1/2"H. It started out as a 17" long section of trunk that was about 16" wide after initial turning an just recently finish sanded and buffed with dry Tripoli wheel. I am debating on using plain oil or applying a multi coat of oil/poly for a finer finish. The pine was from a dead tree that had a lot of shake in the lower sections (found trying to get larger sections) and subject to tear out even with sharp tools so definitely not any prize, but will make a nice fruit or yarn bowl.

Michelle Rich
08-07-2014, 9:10 AM
I like this..rustic..pine sometimes can be very hard to work with..but I think your efforts were well placed. the grain is interesting and it will make a nice fruit bowl.

Jim Colombo
08-07-2014, 9:41 AM
REALLY nice !!!!! Great grain pattern. Love the handles. How did you do them?

Paul Hinds
08-07-2014, 9:49 AM
Terrific grain pattern. Much better looking than I would have expected with pine. What kind of pine is it, do you know?

Prashun Patel
08-07-2014, 9:52 AM
Love this one. Still trying to fiture out how the grain gets oriented for that; was it a crotch?

I really like the handles. How did you carve away the negative space so smoothly if not on the lathe?

Thomas Canfield
08-07-2014, 9:46 PM
Pine was a standard pine tree about 50'tall that had a lot of dead wood. The turning was made from a 17+" long section of trunk about 16" diameter that was cut lengthwise to remove about 2" pith slab. The lower tree diameter was about 36" D but it had problems with grain separations due to shake. I had cut several blanks only to have the inner third or so separate after a few days of drying. There was some moisture, but not a lot of sap as seen on some pine back in Tyler, TX.

The bowl with full rim to include handles was turned, sanded inside and outside except for tendon area, and then taken to bandsaw. The bowl was placed with rim flat on table and excess rim trimmed back to bowl wall. A random orbital sander was used to form the contour of rim to bowl where possible, and hand sanded otherwise. An oscillating spindle sander with table tilted could also be used to help sand the rim/bowl shape. It really is not a hard process. You only need to leave the original blank longer than bowl diameter to have rim for handle. I have not tried it yet, but the handles could be formed below rim level for another look.