PDA

View Full Version : Picture Frame Distributor or other ideas?

Lisabeth Shaffer
08-06-2014, 5:08 PM
I am engraving mats with cutouts to put in frames, but the only matching frames I find are the 1 1/2" for engraving and these are too wide. I have googled and googled, but don't have any luck finding plain thin alder wood frames. Does anyone know of a frame distributor that I could contact that might sell alder wood?

David Somers
08-06-2014, 5:17 PM
Lisabeth,

I am afraid I don't know folks who carry finished frames like that.
But depending on how many you need, making frames is pretty easy. Especially thin ones? There are frame cutters that would handle thing wood and are inexpensive. Alder should be readily available from local lumber yards in most cases.

Just a thought if you don't find what you need made up.

Stuff must be out there.

Dave

Mark Sipes
08-06-2014, 7:32 PM
Lisabeth, Are you marketing the ability to laser the frame... or the custom/selection of mats you are fabricating. How many frames and what sizes are you looking to purchase? if 1 1/2" is too wide what width are you looking for. Will pine, popular, oak, mahogany, cedar, redwood frames work or only alder.

Lisabeth Shaffer
08-06-2014, 10:33 PM
For this specific product I'm cutting mats out of sheets of alder and would like to have matching frames. I could probably change to different sheets if I can't find alder frames. I'm looking for 3/4", but 1" would be acceptable.

I also laser on the 1 1/2" alder wood frames.

Lisabeth Shaffer
08-06-2014, 10:36 PM
I did find some companies that had the moulding, but I don't need enough of them in the beginning to purchase the minimum amount. If they sell well and I anticipated needing a large quantity I would definitely try what you are suggesting.

Henri Sallinen
08-07-2014, 3:18 AM
My father owns a frame shop and from my experience, you could always ask a local framer, if they could make you frames.

It's a fairly simple process and you could strike a deal and get the ready made frames quite cheap. There are some plain wood frame poles that aren't coated with any color etc. and with luck, you could find someone who stocks a bare wooden frame. This will obviosly depend on the kind of framer you find, since all aren't as interested on making "special" works like this could be in someones mind.

Good luck!