PDA

View Full Version : Danish Oil

Kevin Arceneaux
07-05-2005, 8:33 PM
My MIL gave us an really old desk and it was in really rough shape. I wouldn't have placed it near the fireplace it was so dried out. Five coats of oil and it really shines.

Bob Noles
07-05-2005, 9:27 PM
Kevin,

What was the allowed drying time between coats? Sounds like it really brought the looks back out for you.

Kevin Arceneaux
07-05-2005, 10:17 PM
SWMBO did it. The first couple of coats had about 5-10 minutes between coats. it sucked it up real fast. A longer time between each later coat.

You could literally watch the wood suck it up at first.

Bob Noles
07-05-2005, 11:12 PM
Thanks Kevin.

I have yet to try Danish Oil and have heard good things about it. I have pretty much stayed with poly and need to venture away to try new things.

Kevin Arceneaux
07-06-2005, 11:20 PM
Finally got a Digital Camera.

this is what the desk looks like now

Bob Noles
07-07-2005, 5:17 AM
Finally got a Digital Camera.

this is what the desk looks like now

Wow.... Thanks for the picture. That thing really came out nice.

LOML is also into antiques in a big way and I can see from your results that we will be giving Danish Oil a work out very soon.

Thanks for sharing Kevin.

James Carmichael
07-07-2005, 1:39 PM
I'm using it on a birch built-in I'm doing (LOML wants it cherry to match the wood blinds), but I'm finding it difficult to get an even color on irregular and non-horizontal surfaces. For some moldings, I actually made a little trough out of aluminum foil, poured some oil in and laid them face-down in it for about 1/2 hour. It's pretty easy to apply, though, and sure shows off the grain on that birch.