PDA

View Full Version : Finally solved my baghouse extractor fan problem!

Albert Lee
08-06-2014, 4:35 PM
All the time I was worried about the 20" fan size being oversize and the 4kw motor being undersize, it's neither!

What happened was I had the rep of the NZ agent for Coral product to come in and give me some advice on my upgrades, the rep/technician commented the wiring maybe incorrect and causing the fan to rotate the other way, I was a bit confused because if it's rotating the other way shouldn't it be blowing? The technician went underneath the machine to check the rotation of the motor and yes it's wired otherway round.

This morning I had my electrician to rewrite the phase, then when we switched on the extractor the extractor, there was a lot of initial noise of the residual dust/shavings in the ducting being sucked into the extractors waste bags and then its the quiet and fast "noise" of air being moved through the 10" main duct, I put my hand next to one of the 4" inlet and it's so much faster than before, when I closed the gate for the sander the suction is even more!

I am now a very happy man :)

I wonder what kind of suction it was doing with opposite wiring....

David Kumm
08-06-2014, 4:56 PM
Good news Albert. I thought we had talked about checking the wiring but my memory might be bad. Usually you get about 1/3 to 1/2 the cfm when the blades run the wrong direction. Still pulls, but pretty crappy. Dave

ray hampton
08-06-2014, 6:54 PM
to make blades blow out instead of pulling sometime will require bending the fan blades, ships change the angle of the blades when they want to reverse if I NOT MISTAKING

Michael W. Clark
08-06-2014, 7:23 PM
Ha! Yes, classic troubleshooting 101. If we didn't mention it in the other post, it tricked us all!

Yes, the fan will still pull, but nowhere near the design flow. Amp readings are weird too.