PDA

View Full Version : Patching Knick in Teak

Curt Rowe
08-06-2014, 1:40 PM
I been storing a teak desk in my garage for years. Just when I'm ready to sell it, I drop something on it and put a knick in the drawer face. It's about 1/2 inch long and 1/32 to 1/16 deep. I have some Timbermate wood filler that I got from Woodcraft for another project. It's for lighter colored wood. They don't make one for teak. I was thinking of using it and then applying some teak oil to darken it. Any one have any experience patching teak?

scott vroom
08-06-2014, 1:56 PM
IMO any type/shade of woodfiller is going to stand out on a drawer front. You might consider gluing a teak splinter/chip onto the dent and then sanding flat.

Reinis Kanders
08-06-2014, 2:00 PM
Try to steam it out with a clothes iron and damp cloth, it might just pop back up or will be less visible.

Curt Rowe
08-06-2014, 2:11 PM
Try to steam it out with a clothes iron and damp cloth, it might just pop back up or will be less visible.

I thought about that method. Unfortunately, it's not a dent. It was a glancing blow that dug material out. I could just try teak oil without any filler. The scratch would still be visible, but it be a better color match to the rest of the front.

Bill Orbine
08-06-2014, 3:42 PM
I thought about that method. Unfortunately, it's not a dent. It was a glancing blow that dug material out. I could just try teak oil without any filler. The scratch would still be visible, but it be a better color match to the rest of the front.

It's like finding you're first ding on your new car. That "ding" will bother you more than the possible buyer. Teak oil will help. If you're a bit creative, you could use a crayon like Mohawk's Fil-Stick if you don't mind the expense and time for the effort.