PDA

View Full Version : Introduction and shop tour (lots of pix)

Kurt Voss
07-05-2005, 7:48 PM
Hello SMC! I've been reading this site for about a year now and joined a couple of months ago and have been working on putting my shop together during that time. First of all, many thanks for the great website and all those who have taken the time to post here as it is a wealth of information and I'm sure I"ve been able to bypass several pitfalls and headaches by heeding the experience that has been shared here.

I work as a rehabilitation physician (Physiatrist) and spend my days in a hospital working with people who've had strokes, joint replacements, fractures, amputations and other terrible things (sure appreciate my health and set of "problems"). As for woodworking; I grew up around it and helped my Dad build a lot of stuff - mostly functioning as a clamp and outfeed device. :D I have recently decided to get into to it as a hobby and plan on building my kids' beds, cabinets for a project room, a built in hutch, kitchen cabinets, etc., etc. - hoping that my meager skills improve as I reach higher up the complexity ladder. But I am optimistic and believe that the brain being the trainable organ it is will acquire new skills whilst I create firewood and sawdust.

If your ever in Ft. Worth, feel free to look me up.

Now for the pictures:

Richard Wolf
07-05-2005, 7:53 PM
Very impressive shop space. Do you own stock in Grizzly? Can you explain the first picture, is that part of the house? How much of the space is shop? Welcome to the chreek.

Richard

Chris Padilla
07-05-2005, 7:54 PM
Drool.... Boy, I think I'd give up a lot to get space to simply plant my machines in one spot forever and ever.

Nice job on the DC system. I'm still waffling between plastic and metal, plastic and metal for the ductwork...I just don't know....

Don Baer
07-05-2005, 7:54 PM
WOW now thats a shop. Color me green with envy. I can only dream of a shop like yours, How many square feet is it.

:D

Chris Barton
07-05-2005, 7:56 PM
Very Nice and very clean! I am with Rich, amazing all Grizzly tools. How do you like your table saw and bandsaw?

Chris
(Doc as well)

Todd Davidson
07-05-2005, 7:57 PM
Hi Kurt~
Great looking shop. I'm sure I could make some mighty fine firewood and saw dust there :D. What attracted you so greatly to the Grizzly line? The one tool I hope to upgrade after all is said and done with my shop remodel is my jointer and I'm looking hard at a Grizzly. Thanks for posting pics. Am looking forward to seeing the many wonderful projects that I'm sure will come out of there.
In peace, Todd

lou sansone
07-05-2005, 7:58 PM
very nice indeed .... love the shop tours:D

how about taking a little time to discuss some of your thought on why you bought a particular machine or why you set up your shop as you have. it gives others ideas as well

best wishes
lou

Robby Phelps
07-05-2005, 8:00 PM
Hi Kurt and WOW nice shop. Look forward to seeing your projects.

Kurt Voss
07-05-2005, 8:10 PM
Here's a few more.

Kurt Voss
07-05-2005, 8:21 PM
Wow, you guys are fast!! Thanks for the kind comments. I just uploaded some more pictures hoping to get them inline with the others. OK, you got me, I'm busted - no I'm not running a Grizzly dealership. From the reading I did, I decided that Grizzly had the level of quality I was looking for at an affordable price poine and were willing to negotiate a bit as I bought my tools in a single order. You may notice that I've gotten to know Mr. Marino as well as the nice folks at Woodpeckers and Jointech.

The building is a 60'x40' steel building in my back yard and functions as my garage as well. I will have to come back later to add some additional comments as I need to pick-up my inlaws at the airport :o Thanks for looking.

Christian Aufreiter
07-05-2005, 8:30 PM
WOW!!! Congrats, Kurt. Your shop is fantastic. I guess green is your favorite colour so you might want to get a Hitachi SCMS instead of the Dewalt ;) .

Regards,

Christian

Andy London
07-05-2005, 8:39 PM
Man that is some showroom of equipment and the space you have is amazing! It looks like you have a second floor from the pictures, is that office space?

I have a question on your second set of images and the close up of the Grizzly cyclone. I notice there is a fair amount of dust in the plastic bag below the filter which would seem you may have a leak....just curious if you had checked the seal on the drum as this is the third time I have seen quite a bit of dust in the bag below the filter.

Awsome shop!

Andy

Frank Pellow
07-05-2005, 9:26 PM
... I have recently decided to get into to it as a hobby ...

Boy Kurt, you really do get into your hobbies quickly and well! :D

The pictures are great, but I love diagrams as well. Do you have a layout plan that you could post?

Jim Becker
07-05-2005, 9:42 PM
Wonderful, Kurt! My only critical eye moment was with those things that have rubber tires taking up valuable shop space! :D :D

And I do get down your way a few times a year...you're now on "my list" of shops to drool in...hee hee

Dennis Peacock
07-05-2005, 10:13 PM
Great shop Kurt and looks like you have everything in order. ;) BTW, I guess you're heavily into Grizzly Tools? Own part of the company now? :p ;) :D

Congrats on a nice shop and some very nice tools. BTW, Welcome to SMC. :D

Jeremy Gibson
07-05-2005, 10:48 PM
One word - WOW :D, DROOL :p, ENVEY :mad:

Seriously, that's a great looking space. You can now concentrate on the craft and not the organization.

Lee DeRaud
07-05-2005, 10:52 PM
The building is a 60'x40' steel building in my back yard...It's in your back yard?!? It's about half again the square footage of my back yard. Ah, that's why it looks so big. :p

Jason Tuinstra
07-05-2005, 11:42 PM
Wow, Kurt! You sure do have a lot of green in that there shop! It looks great! Man, I could make a lot of dust in that place were it not for all those white tubes :D :p Nice shop. Thanks for showing it off. It looks great.

Kelly C. Hanna
07-05-2005, 11:58 PM
Wow...I may have to come by for a tour in person....dang nice shop ya got there Kurt!

I like the color green as well! :D:D

Vaughn McMillan
07-06-2005, 2:56 AM
Kurt, you just might owe me a new keyboard...mine's not working too good anymore with all this drool on it. Beautiful shop indeed. Thanks for posting.

- Vaughn

Ken Fitzgerald
07-06-2005, 5:20 AM
Great looking shop Kurt! How do you like your Grizzley DC? Does it seem to work well?

Dale Rodabaugh
07-06-2005, 5:55 AM
:rolleyes: $$$$$$$ must be nice.:rolleyes:

Tyler Howell
07-06-2005, 8:17 AM
Grizzley Wonder Land.

Real Nice Set up Kurt. Thanks for sharing.:cool:

Kevin Beck
07-06-2005, 8:24 AM
Dang, that's almost as nice as Terry Hatfield's Garage Mahal and almost as clean.

I'm working in a 2 car garage that my family insists on keeping bicycles and other such nonsense in :p

Very, very nice, now make some stuff.

Kevin

Jim Dunn
07-06-2005, 8:51 AM
Are you going to let the father-in-law in there? That's a real nice place to stay during their visit;):D Very nicely laid out and well equiped.

larry merlau
07-06-2005, 9:37 AM
thats nice setup you have Kurt. i am sure it reflects your quality of workmanship in your day job as well. and we now have a new source for grizzley info and reccomendations. thanks for sharing

Bill Lewis
07-06-2005, 10:04 AM
Kurt, you're just leading us on. How about the rest of the story, the SECOND story that is. On the outside, I see windows above the garage doors. On the inside, I see a ceiling. Come on don't hold back on us, what's up there.

BTW what is the ceiling height?

Ron Jones near Indy
07-06-2005, 10:06 AM
It seems that Griz now has a Texas showroom. :D That's a great shop, Kurt. And welcome to the Creek. I think you will like it here.

Greg Narozniak
07-06-2005, 10:15 AM
Very Nice Space. VERY VERY Jealous :)

Byron Trantham
07-06-2005, 10:39 AM
Very nice. I think all of us would love to have that kind of space! :D

Dave Tinley
07-06-2005, 11:47 AM
Kurt-
Nice looking shop, but way too clean. :D BTW- where is all the lumber? I think you are just setting up a Grizzly satalite store. ;) A big Texas welcome.

Dave

Steve Stube
07-06-2005, 1:49 PM
Very nice digs. Even got the digital readout for the edge sander:-)

JOSEPH GOVEA
07-06-2005, 3:58 PM
Very nice shop Kurt. All I can say is ME LIKE IT ALOT:D :D

John Lucas
07-06-2005, 4:40 PM
Kurt,
I don't think the others missed it, but it rang a bell with me, you are in a very important and trying specialty. I hope you can do it without burning out and that this shop can make your off time relaxing and a good escape.
On the shop side, you have almost everything, it seems. I don't know if Grizzley carries it but certainly many other places do....bags of sawdust in various species. You have to make the place look and smell real.
Now, you have shown us your shop, what woodworking projects do you have in mind or have done.
And thanks for sharing.