PDA

View Full Version : Need Granite Help

Greg W Watson
08-06-2014, 11:37 AM
I have a customer providing me 4 inch black granite coasters to etch. Easy pleasey :)

My problem is that he has the need for a STRAIGHT groove cut into the granite to slide a name card. I just need a cut thick enough and deep enough to hold a business card size/thickness piece of paper. What would be the best way to go about cutting said groove? I know I could probably etch the groove with WAY too many passes but was hoping someone might know of a good alternative.

Greg

Chris DeGerolamo
08-06-2014, 11:51 AM
What about upside down on a table saw, with the appropriate blade and fence?

Lasering is not even an option in my opinion.

Gary Hair
08-06-2014, 12:16 PM
A tile saw would be your best bet, rent one for $40 and cut away. The laser won't do anything more than fracture the surface, you won't get any depth.

Greg W Watson
08-06-2014, 4:26 PM
A tile saw would be your best bet, rent one for $40 and cut away. The laser won't do anything more than fracture the surface, you won't get any depth.

But can you adjust the cut depth with a tile saw?

Gary Hair
08-06-2014, 4:56 PM
I'm sure you could find one that is adjustable.

Kev Williams
08-06-2014, 6:44 PM
I have a cheap HF tile saw that would work great, EXCEPT the blade isn't adjustable- the bottom of the blade travels thru a tray of water...hmm, trying to remember if the TABLE is adjustable? Regardless, it probably wouldn't take much work or money to build up the existing table with some delrin or something similar to get a 1/4" cut depth.

Dan Hintz
08-06-2014, 7:01 PM
Put a 2x4 or whatever is necessary to get the necessary height off of the tile cutter table.

Though I bet your cut line will be a bit wider than a business card, even with a thin blade...

Greg W Watson
08-07-2014, 12:26 PM
Dan I think that will be fine I know a blade on those is around 1/16 so that will most likely be ok. I will see if I can borrow one

Greg

Put a 2x4 or whatever is necessary to get the necessary height off of the tile cutter table.

Though I bet your cut line will be a bit wider than a business card, even with a thin blade...

Mike Audleman
08-07-2014, 12:33 PM
I don't know of any table/tile saws that are capable of cutting such a thin kerf in granite. For a thin kerf like that, contact a local rockhound. Find a gem and mineral shop. The diamond blades they use to cut slabs are pretty thin and will make quick work of your granite pieces. They are liquid cooled/lubed so there is little chance at damage. The diamond blades I used to have were very thin and would cut a nice kerf for the business card.

Greg W Watson
08-08-2014, 3:28 PM
Found a solution, a friend of mine has a diamond blade professional wet saw that has an adjustable height on the blade and the blade is 1/16 inch wide.....PERFECT!

Thanks all

Greg W Watson
08-22-2014, 10:39 AM
Just an update for you guys....the wet tile saw worked a treat and the customer was very happy. Thanks for the all the help.

David Rust
08-22-2014, 10:40 PM
any Pics? I am interested in seeing how the cuts came out