PDA

View Full Version : Table Saw recommendations

Benjamin Brown
08-06-2014, 11:12 AM
Greetings all,

New member here and relatively new woodworker. I really, really enjoy this work, and I have been trying to immerse myself in anything that can teach me or help me understand how better to approach the process. I've been subscribing to Fine Woodworker, Woodsmith, Wood and Family Handyman and reading woodworking books. Have been collecting tools and familiarizing myself with them as much as possible. One huge mistake I made early on was not being selective in regards to my table saw and I ended up with this refurbished Ryobi thing that is OK powerwise but jumps around every time I turn it on, has no table space for anything bigger than about 2X4X48 without being unwieldy, the fence is awful, the sled is useless, etc etc. So I know what I hate :)

Anyways, I am now in a position to purchase a decent, real table saw and I am finding the width and breadth of options pretty intimidating. I'm not part of any local community that can help me make the decision and I don't really know anyone that has exposure to different brands that can give me advice. So that's where you guys hopefully come in.

I have roughly $1700 to spend. I definitely cut up a lot of sheet goods. I'm mostly interested in building furniture and so would probably be running a variety of woods through the saw. Not into turning atm. I really like big, long, wide tables. Floor-space isn't really an issue for me. A few conditions that complicate things for me:

The funds I have available are in the form of Amazon gift cards. I have to be able to purchase the saw from the Amazon site, so I cannot consider used equipment or stuff that Amazon doesn't stock
I do not currently have my shop wired for 220v but I could do so if it makes sense. The cost of doing so would not be factored into the $1700
I would like to have a way to move the saw around, so if it doesn't include a mobility frame with wheels like the HTC2000 base I'd like to factor that into the cost
If the saw has a poor or insufficient fence I'd like to include the cost of replacing it with a Bies
Could use some leeway for other accessories like a Freud Dado

At the moment, I've been leaning towards the Grizzly G0715P, but that is based almost entirely off of reviews on the Amazon site. Anyways, thanks in advance for any advice you guys can give! My last batch of Amazon gift cards will be arriving in a few days and I am hoping that I will be ready to pull the trigger then =D

Shawn Pixley
08-06-2014, 12:07 PM
Amazon has the Sawstop contractor saw with the professional fence and 36" rails for $1,818. I know that is over the 1700$ you quoted. I have this saw and have tricked it out over time (folding outfeed table, CI wings, added storage, and improved the dust collection). It's a nice saw. I bought it before the PCS came out. Today, I would buy the PCS. But I can't see selling my SS for the PCS as I have yet to find anything I can't do with it.

Jim German
08-06-2014, 12:14 PM
I would go with a Sawstop. The contractor saw is $1750 on amazon. The mobility kit is extra, but you can add that on later. I don't particularly like the company, but the saws are very well made, and I know too many people who have hurt themselves with a table saw to recommend buying anything but that or a slider.

Peter Kelly
08-06-2014, 12:40 PM
Might want to consider the Festool TS55 & MFT if you're breaking down a lot of sheet goods.

http://www.amazon.com/Festool-MFT-3-Multifunction-Table/dp/B002W7TLAY

http://www.amazon.com/Festool-TS-55-REQ-Plunge/dp/B00C2AKZCO

Peter Quinn
08-06-2014, 12:40 PM
Saw stop, save your pennies for a track saw next for sheet goods.

Earl Rumans
08-06-2014, 12:50 PM
With your budget and requirement for breaking down sheet goods, I would recommend this saw. http://www.amazon.com/Jet-708495K-JPS-10TS-10-inch-Tablesaw/dp/B007HC70DE/ref=sr_1_4?s=power-hand-tools&ie=UTF8&qid=1407343103&sr=1-4&keywords=table+saw It's a very good saw and meets all you requirements with a decent fence, cast iron wings, plenty of power, runs on 110v but can be changed to 220v and has 52 inch rip capacity for sheet goods. Jet makes good equipment and I have been very happy with my Jet Xacta saw.

Rick Potter
08-06-2014, 12:59 PM
If you do decide on the SS, I would advise getting the better fence upgrade, it is a Bies clone.

Rick P

scott vroom
08-06-2014, 1:53 PM
I'd look at the Grizzly G0691 with the long rails (you said space was not an issue and that you breakdown sheet goods). For $1,745 delivered you get a 3HP professional grade cabinet saw with a decent fence. Each to their own, but I wouldn't pay $1,750 for a 1-3/4HP contractor saw with a cheap fence....even considering the safety features.

Benjamin Brown
08-06-2014, 2:37 PM
I'd look at the Grizzly G0691 with the long rails (you said space was not an issue and that you breakdown sheet goods). For $1,745 delivered you get a 3HP professional grade cabinet saw with a decent fence. Each to their own, but I wouldn't pay $1,750 for a 1-3/4HP contractor saw with a cheap fence....even considering the safety features.

Yeah I am having a lot of difficulty with this... I like my extra money but .. I also like my fingers :) If I had $3000 to throw at the problem I would almost guaranteed get the sawstop. But I had pretty much written them off as unobtainable for me at this point

Benjamin Brown
08-06-2014, 2:45 PM

You're seeing this saw for $1750 delivered on Amazon? It's showing as nearly $1900 for me which really stretches my budget out to the breaking point.

Benjamin Brown
08-06-2014, 2:48 PM
At the moment, I've been leaning towards the Grizzly G0715P, but that is based almost entirely off of reviews on the Amazon site

Can anyone give me some feedback on this saw? What will I likely love/hate about it? I understand the desire to get the most saw you can possibly get for the money, but when I think about the accessories I can get here with this saw I'm tempted to step back from the $1800+ models.

scott vroom
08-06-2014, 2:54 PM
You're seeing this saw for $1750 delivered on Amazon? It's showing as nearly $1900 for me which really stretches my budget out to the breaking point.

Benjamin, I was looking at the Grizzly direct sales web site: http://www.grizzly.com/products/10-3HP-220V-Cabinet-Table-Saw-with-Long-Rails-Riving-Knife/G0691

Not sure why Amazon would advertise $1,889....would never buy Grizzly through Amazon, always buy direct. For $1,745 delivered you're getting a whole lot more saw than the SS contractor saw. Apples and Oranges difference.

Curt Rowe
08-06-2014, 3:40 PM
I have a 12" Inca. The company has long gone out of business. I used to wrestle sheet goods through it, but it was a real challenge getting a straight cut on a full 4x8 sheet. Maybe it's just my poor technique. The approach I took to solve the problem was to get a Festool TS55 and a set of rails. An additional advantage to this saw is their splinter guard that prevents tear out. Set up time is longer, but you're guaranteed a straight clean cut. It's a cheaper solution, but you would probably need another saw for cross cuts. Throw in their Kapex saw and you're budget is totally blown.

Peter Kelly
08-06-2014, 3:58 PM
How's that? Cross cuts are pretty do-able with an MFT, guide rail, miter and guide rail. A Kapex is nice but not totally necessary.

http://g-ecx.images-amazon.com/images/G/01/th/content_26/Q1_2011/c26-B002W7TLAY-3-l.jpg

Marty Tippin
08-06-2014, 4:10 PM
Can anyone give me some feedback on this saw? What will I likely love/hate about it?

I have had the Grizzly G0715P for about 18 months and honestly can't find any faults with it. It's perfectly adequate and powerful enough for a home hobby shop. Setup is pretty easy, the fence works well, and the riving knife is an excellent safety feature (I don't use the blade guard, as it's always in the way. But the riving knife only comes off if I'm using a dado). You will want to add a zero-clearance insert from Grizzly (this saw doesn't really allow for a shop-made insert).

Doesn't have large table for breaking down sheet goods but that hasn't been a problem - I've got a $.10 guide that I made for my circular saw that works well enough for the initial breakdown, then I square up the sides on the table saw.

You'll want a different blade than the one that comes with the saw. I use a Freud 60-tooth blade from the BORG and it does a good job; I'm sure there are better blades out there but I haven't felt the need to spend the money on one.

I also added an Incra 2000SE miter gauge and use it all the time (at least when I'm not using the cross-cut sled I made...)

Charles Wiggins
08-06-2014, 4:19 PM
Benjamin,

I don't have a specific recommendation, but I would like to point out that any table saw can be expanded and improved. You're just limited by your imagination and skill level, and space:

294308 294309 294310 294311 294312 294313

Benjamin Brown
08-06-2014, 10:04 PM
Benjamin, I was looking at the Grizzly direct sales web site: http://www.grizzly.com/products/10-3HP-220V-Cabinet-Table-Saw-with-Long-Rails-Riving-Knife/G0691

Not sure why Amazon would advertise $1,889....would never buy Grizzly through Amazon, always buy direct. For $1,745 delivered you're getting a whole lot more saw than the SS contractor saw. Apples and Oranges difference.

Unfortunately like I was saying in the OP I have Amazon gift cards, so I am limited to Amazon current stock

Benjamin Brown
08-06-2014, 10:12 PM
Benjamin,

I don't have a specific recommendation, but I would like to point out that any table saw can be expanded and improved. You're just limited by your imagination and skill level, and space:

294308 294309 294310 294311 294312 294313

Well I have plenty of imagination and space ;) Hopefully the skill level will come in time. In the meantime I figure it makes sense to get big. Besides, my wife is fillibustering buying more lumber until she gets some functional furniture outta me. There's a good outfeed table in an issue of family handyman that I want to make but it requires 4 sheets of oak plywood which'll cost me about 200 bucks and so she's fighting me.

scott spencer
08-07-2014, 6:33 AM
The G0715P got a favorable review from Wood Mag, but it has remarkably similar innerds as the Ridgid R4512 and Cman 21833, and all have had similar alignment issues. Not all units are effected, but enough have been that I'd want to know about before buying one.

For more money, but within budget, either the Grizzly G1023RL or G0690 series are both a great bang for the buck. While a good hybrid or contractor saw are capable of good service, the jump to an industrial cabinet saw is significant. Not only do you get a 70% increase in power, the mechanisms under the hood are much more substantial. They do require 220v, but is a move worth making in the long IMHO. The G1023RL has a stock rip capacity of 26", but the rails can easily be slid to the right for a respectable 36" capacity, or you can get 52" stock rip capacity. Starting at just under $1400 shipped. The ABCs of Table Saws (http://www.woodworkingchat.com/blogs/tips-for-picking-table-saw-blades/8790-the-abc-s-of-table-saws)

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y203/hewood/Saws/g0478_zps8094f304.jpg
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y203/hewood/Saws/g1023rl_det2_zps6be49fb3.jpg

Jim Andrew
08-07-2014, 9:37 AM
I see more tablesaws than other woodworking equipment on craigslist. If you are not in a huge hurry, you could probably save money on a used saw. Maybe even get a better saw than you can afford new.

Benjamin Brown
08-07-2014, 9:46 AM
The G0715P got a favorable review from Wood Mag, but it has remarkably similar innerds as the Ridgid R4512 and Cman 21833, and all have had similar alignment issues. Not all units are effected, but enough have been that I'd want to know about before buying one.

For more money, but within budget, either the Grizzly G1023RL or G0690 series are both a great bang for the buck. While a good hybrid or contractor saw are capable of good service, the jump to an industrial cabinet saw is significant. Not only do you get a 70% increase in power, the mechanisms under the hood are much more substantial. They do require 220v, but is a move worth making in the long IMHO. The G1023RL has a stock rip capacity of 26", but the rails can easily be slid to the right for a respectable 36" capacity, or you can get 52" stock rip capacity. Starting at just under $1400 shipped. The ABCs of Table Saws (http://www.woodworkingchat.com/blogs/tips-for-picking-table-saw-blades/8790-the-abc-s-of-table-saws)

Unfortunately Amazon is asking almost $1900 for the G1023RL and $1800 for the G0690, really stretching my budget. Clearly I don't want to deal with alignment issues down the road and I especially don't want to have to buy another table saw in a few years to overcome the shortcomings of a poorly constructed saw... but... if I put this additional $1000 into the saw am I really going to thank myself? When you say the innards are more substantial, what impact does that have on me as a user? More use without failure? More exact cuts? Easier to swap out components? More fine detail? I'm just curious because I see people say this a lot and I understand if I am running a cabinet shop or something that I'll want a huge all steel machine that can cut 1000 board feet an hour.. but what is the effect on someone like me with a more modest need?

Benjamin Brown
08-07-2014, 9:48 AM
I see more tablesaws than other woodworking equipment on craigslist. If you are not in a huge hurry, you could probably save money on a used saw. Maybe even get a better saw than you can afford new.

Yeah unfortunately like I mentioned in the OP I am currently the proud owner of $1700 in Amazon gift cards. So unless I decide to sell them at a huge loss on the secondary market, it's either Amazon or bust for me. I suppose theoretically I could buy something with a strong secondary market and resell a bunch of them on Craigslist.. but that seems a little dangerous and a huge hassle to me.

Dale Murray
08-07-2014, 9:57 AM
My wife saw tools as nothing more than an expensive hobby until she realized I was producing things of a value greater than the expense (when I replaced a beam, insulated, and completely refinished the garage for under $4000 she understood. It would have cost more than $20,000 to hire out the work, thus my tools are cheap) - hopefully you will have the same experience.

Breaking down sheet good before they meet the table saw is a very good idea, much easier to handle a 60"x30" piece than 96"x48".

Track saws are great though not everyone needs/can afford a Festool, I opted for the Makita tracksaw for those reasons. Also, I knew I would be getting a table saw for critical cuts thus the Festool premium was not worth it to me.

Before the Makita track saw my Milwaukee 6391 circular saw did the job just fine. I made a cutting guide for it using some hardboard and 2"wide by 1/8" aluminum from home depot - I figured the aluminum bar must be fairly straight and make for a decent reference for the saw. Again, not as exacting as a tracksaw but did the job well.

I do have a Sawstop ICS mostly at my wifes urging - she feared finger loss. Had she not been heavily involved with that decision I may have bought a Delta or Powermatic cabinet saw. Your budget leans more toward the contractor saw.

If you can afford it I would not hesitate to get the Sawstop contractor saw from Amazon. I bought my sliding miter saw from Amazon. I discovered a stripped screw the day after delivery (Sunday) and contacted them about the issue. UPS was there to pick it up Monday and delivered a new one Tuesday. It does not get much better than that.

I intended to buy a Sawstop PCS via Amazon but found a local ICS much cheaper (cheaper than powermatic and delta too).

Ultimately my advice is:
- If you already have a circular saw then make a guide for it, but a blade with more teeth and get the Sawstop contractors saw.
- If you dont have a circular saw then get decked out with a Festool setup including the MFT. You will be able to do some great stuff with it but man its expensive.
- Or, get something like the Makita track saw and a decent contractors table saw and still be within budget.

Earl Rumans
08-07-2014, 10:09 AM
[/B][/URL]

Unfortunately Amazon is asking almost $1900 for the G1023RL and $1800 for the G0690, really stretching my budget. Clearly I don't want to deal with alignment issues down the road and I especially don't want to have to buy another table saw in a few years to overcome the shortcomings of a poorly constructed saw... but... if I put this additional $1000 into the saw am I really going to thank myself? When you say the innards are more substantial, what impact does that have on me as a user? More use without failure? More exact cuts? Easier to swap out components? More fine detail? I'm just curious because I see people say this a lot and I understand if I am running a cabinet shop or something that I'll want a huge all steel machine that can cut 1000 board feet an hour.. but what is the effect on someone like me with a more modest need?
Once you have used a real cabinet saw you will not be happy with anything less. The weight and mass of the assembly's make cutting effortless and gives you great confidence making precision cuts. The lack of vibration and the perfect alignment mean you can be confident that your cuts are exactly what you wanted. If you can possible afford the extra cost, the Grizzly 691 is well worth the upgrade price. The difference in cost between Amazon and Grizzly is because the Amazon price includes shipping. By the way, Amazon Prime shipping is delivered into your garage, not dropped at the curb like most.

scott vroom
08-07-2014, 10:42 AM
Unfortunately like I was saying in the OP I have Amazon gift cards, so I am limited to Amazon current stock

Have you tried calling Amazon regarding the price of the G0691? Out of curiosity I called them and asked why they are charging more than Grizzly direct; their response was they don't do price matching but would be "willing to make some price concession in this case".

Interesting that so many folks just accept retailer list pricing when often there are opportunities to bargain. Not saying you should buy this saw, but if price is the only issue then call Amazon and negotiate.

Good luck :)

scott spencer
08-07-2014, 10:53 AM
[/B][/URL]

You can buy Grizzly machines directly from Grizzly.com (http://www.grizzly.com/products/category/530020%7C530002%7C530000) for the prices mentioned. You could always sell your Amazon gift cards.

More robust mechanisms tend to mean better precision, better longevity, more mass, smoother action, less vibration, etc. The cabinet mounted trunnions are also easier to reach and align than table mounted trunnions. The added horsepower means you can dictate the feed rate, there's less fussiness about setup and blade selection, and less strain in thick ripping (better longevity), etc. A saw of this type could be considered overkill for some hobbyists, but they represent the most saw you can get for your budget IMHO. In general things simply work as they should, and the benefits are seldom a hindrance.

Benjamin Brown
08-07-2014, 11:05 AM
Have you tried calling Amazon regarding the price of the G0691? Out of curiosity I called them and asked why they are charging more than Grizzly direct; their response was they don't do price matching but would be "willing to make some price concession in this case".

Interesting that so many folks just accept retailer list pricing when often there are opportunities to bargain. Not saying you should buy this saw, but if price is the only issue then call Amazon and negotiate.

Good luck :)

Interesting, no I hadn't considered giving them a call. Which is weird because I'll gladly try and get price matching at other retailers but I had never thought about it for Amazon. I'll need to do that and see what kind of discount I can receive, thank you for the excellent suggestion!

Benjamin Brown
08-07-2014, 11:10 AM
You can buy Grizzly machines directly from Grizzly.com (http://www.grizzly.com/products/category/530020%7C530002%7C530000) for the prices mentioned. You could always sell your Amazon gift cards.

More robust mechanisms tend to mean better precision, better longevity, more mass, smoother action, less vibration, etc. The cabinet mounted trunnions are also easier to reach and align than table mounted trunnions. The added horsepower means you can dictate the feed rate, there's less fussiness about setup and blade selection, and less strain in thick ripping (better longevity), etc. A saw of this type could be considered overkill for some hobbyists, but they represent the most saw you can get for your budget IMHO. In general things simply work as they should, and the benefits are seldom a hindrance.

Yes I have considered doing so, unfortunately I believe that the lost funds would be so extreme as to negate any price difference. It seems to me the only way this might make sense would be if I were to attempt to purchase a used saw. For example I found this very nice appearing Delta on CL for $800 - http://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/tls/4562850539.html - I cannot make the model number out but it seems to me with the tables already built and tested working, and a nice Bies fence that this could be an exceptional deal. There are also some very nice 5hp saws in Atlanta around $800 but I'm not sure I want to deal with all of the issues that come with a 3 phase setup.

Peter Kelly
08-07-2014, 1:05 PM
I'd grab that Unisaw for $800. Certainly better than a Chiwanese knock off.

Benjamin Brown
08-07-2014, 1:06 PM

Haha I wonder if they'll accept Amazon gift cards in lieu of payment ;)

Charles Wiggins
08-07-2014, 1:52 PM
There's a good outfeed table in an issue of family handyman that I want to make but it requires 4 sheets of oak plywood which'll cost me about 200 bucks and so she's fighting me.

For most shop furniture, any flat plywood of consistent thickness will suffice. Hardwood ply is better. That said, such a critter can be hard to locate in the wild. Usually, you have to go to a hardwood dealer. Most of the stuff in the BORGs, even the hardwood ply is crap, but if you're near a Home Depot check to see if they have PureBond plywood from Columbia Forest Products (http://www.columbiaforestproducts.com/product/purebond-classic-core/). It's better quality than the other stuff they carry and usually cheaper than the good HW ply at the lumber yards. If home Depot does not have it the Columbia website has a Where to Buy locator (http://www.columbiaforestproducts.com/where-to-buy/).

Kent A Bathurst
08-07-2014, 2:26 PM
[/B][/URL]

Unfortunately Amazon is asking almost $1900 for the G1023RL and $1800 for the G0690, really stretching my budget..........I especially don't want to have to buy another table saw in a few years

Cry once.

Used is a good choice, if you are willing to undertake any issues that may pop up. the new one comes with a 1-yr warranty, and Grizz' rep for standing behind their products is, overall, pretty solid - though you can find a few people that disagree.

Where in the Atlanta area are you located?

Jim German
08-07-2014, 2:52 PM
Have you actually looked into selling the gift cards? They sell on ebay for very close to their face value, you could try selling them on CL to avoid the Ebay fees. I'd offer that guy $900 in gift cards for that Delta.

Benjamin Brown
08-07-2014, 2:55 PM
Cry once.

Used is a good choice, if you are willing to undertake any issues that may pop up. the new one comes with a 1-yr warranty, and Grizz' rep for standing behind their products is, overall, pretty solid - though you can find a few people that disagree.

Where in the Atlanta area are you located?

I'm in North Atlanta near Mall of GA. Fortunately I drive an F250 so at least I don't have to make weird arrangements to get it to my house.. Although my tiny wife won't be useful getting it from the truck to the basement =D Hah guess I'm gonna be knocking on a neighbors door if I go this route

Benjamin Brown
08-07-2014, 3:10 PM
Have you actually looked into selling the gift cards? They sell on ebay for very close to their face value, you could try selling them on CL to avoid the Ebay fees. I'd offer that guy $900 in gift cards for that Delta.

Yeah eBay fees are rough. If I sold a $500 gift card for $490 (which is very possible for some reason), I would net $441 after eBay fees and $427 after Paypal fees. Ouch. That's losing about 15%.

Now if I could do $500 for $475 on CL that could be really good for me, and I am kind of leaning that way now. But I imagine that there won't be a lot of people buying $500 worth of GC's in one go, I'll probably have to meet a bunch of $100 and $200 people... why can't anything be easy =D

Cary Falk
08-07-2014, 3:59 PM
Here is a solution <$1500. I would buy it in a heartbeat over a hybrid. There are mixed opinions on the granite top but it wouldn't bother me. I have the Grizzly G1023RL and love it. I have several Steel City tools and never had an issue.
http://www.amazon.com/Steel-City-Tool-Works-35965GR/dp/B00A5U1XRE/ref=sr_1_10?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1407441187&sr=1-10&keywords=table+saw+steel+city

Benjamin Brown
08-07-2014, 4:03 PM
Here is a solution <$1500. I would buy it in a heartbeat over a hybrid. There are mixed opinions on the granite top but it wouldn't bother me. I have the Grizzly G1023RL and love it. I have several Steel City tools and never had an issue.
http://www.amazon.com/Steel-City-Tool-Works-35965GR/dp/B00A5U1XRE/ref=sr_1_10?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1407441187&sr=1-10&keywords=table+saw+steel+city

The lone review is a little scary - anyone else have any feedback on this saw?

Cary Falk
08-07-2014, 4:09 PM
I had to laugh at the review. A retired engineer that can't assembly a tablesaw without instructions. Really? I check alignment out of the box because I don't expect anything to be to my standards. News flash, All extension tables are made from wood.

Mike Cozad
08-07-2014, 5:46 PM
Well I have its hybrid brother, the Ridgid 4511, and have been happy with it. I like that I don't fight rust issues. It stays aligned and is solid. The only complaint I had was with the stock fence on mine. It had a 2 piece rail that would flex when clamping the fence down. I replaced it with a shop fox fence. Its been a very good saw. Mine has less power than the one on amazon, but I would pull the trigger on it if I were in your horrible position of having $1700 in amazon gift cards.... :D

I have been seriously considering their granite jointer because I don't have to worry about rust....

Kent A Bathurst
08-07-2014, 5:50 PM
I'm in North Atlanta near Mall of GA. Fortunately I drive an F250 so at least I don't have to make weird arrangements to get it to my house.. Although my tiny wife won't be useful getting it from the truck to the basement =D Hah guess I'm gonna be knocking on a neighbors door if I go this route

Mall of GA is "North Atlanta" ??? It could equally be called "West Athens" or "South Gainesville" :D :D :D

Me - I is just off Peachtree, near the intersection with Lindbergh.

What we would call "Atlanta-Atlanta" :p

Mebbe connect sometime...........

rudy de haas
08-11-2014, 5:21 PM
hi:

I just bought the Canadian version of the G0690 saw after looking long and hard at alternatives including the G0715. The saw is great - rock solid, quiet, nearly vibration free. The only problems I have had with it are: first that the Cdn manuals are terrible (but downloading the Grizzly ones fixed that) and second that the riving knife doesn't quite work with a freud thin kerf blade. On that basis I'd recommend looking at the 690 - it's $1,735 including delivery to your shop floor on Amazon and you can get the other stuff (upgraded fence, longer rails, better blade) as you need them.

I won't use mine to cut sheets, but it's easy to make an extension cabinet to let you do this - and even better to get a track saw for rough
cuts in plywood.

I looked carefully at sawstop. It's nice technology on a reasonable saw, but its great value comes from reducing insurance and related costs for people giving shop classes. You're not their market: sawstop's appeal is to people paying to protect themselves from the idiocies of others, not to people paying to protect their own body parts from their own idiocy. No shop tool is safe - but if you think you're a thousand dollars worth of likely to hurt yourself using a G0690, I'd suggest getting a small hand saw instead.

Barry Linkiewich
08-11-2014, 6:02 PM

This is the way I'd go, find a nice clean unisaw locally and either sell some gift cards or buy it with gift cards if the seller is willing.

Benefits are more saw for less money, not paying to ship it and you get to test the saw!!
New saws should not have problems but sometimes they do and who wants to carry a cabinet saw up and down the basement stairs more than once?

And just think, a unisaw for ~$900 leaves lots of money for upgrades, lumber and blades.

Mike Holbrook
10-30-2014, 2:48 AM
I have cut lots of sheet goods. I have had two different table saws in the last thirty years and hated cutting sheet goods on them. I had the Inca woodworkers saw many years ago but had trouble getting blades dado sets etc. Then I bought a General Contractors Saw adding a Bessie type fence and extra long arms. I thought it would be easier to cut large pieces with the extension arms. Now I am trying to get rid of the General saw too. The table saw takes up way too much shop space for the amount I use it. I use older hand miter boxes and saws for small pieces. An electric chop saw for cutting up large amounts of lumber and a track saw for the big pieces.

I love the Festool saw, table and guides. I find the Festool tools more versatile to use than a table saw and much better for a solo woodworker trying to cut large pieces. One person trying to guide a sheet of plywood through a table saw comes close to being a futile act in my experience. It is much easier and more accurate to take a small saw and guide to the large board/sheet. If you spend double the budget on table saw extensions, work supports....for my money you still end up with a slower, less accurate way to cut sheet goods. The Festool table allows you to do most of what you can do on a table saw with a Festool saw. A few jobs may be a little slower on the Festool table but in my world more are faster with the Festool saw. I work in two different locations (home & home business) and it is easy to fold the table up, put the Festool saw in it's box and move them to where I am working. There is even a Festool hand truck for moving them up & down steps, in & out of trucks...I am much more comfortable with the Festool saw in terms of safety too.

My shop now takes up three rooms in the basement I am finishing. Even with all the room I have, my table saw takes up too much space. It winds up being more of a work station for me than a saw and the Festool MFT is a much more functional work surface.

Jim Andrew
10-30-2014, 7:44 AM
You won't go wrong with the Grizzly 1023, it is built in Taiwan, which is where the other premium machines are built. Have heard of no issues with that model. You would probably be fine with the used Unisaw as well, I bought a new one in 05, have had no issues with it. Would think that Amazon gift cards would be almost the same as cash, if buying used.

Viking Mountain Tool Works
10-30-2014, 10:01 AM
I sell on Amazon. Amazon takes an average of 22% off of the top on everything I sell (which includes delivery). That would be $378 on an $1,889, so I can see why Grizzly would need to charge more. Amazon sells more then the next 10 E-retailers combined so a lot more E-sellers are using them as an additional sales channel.
Scott

David Hendricks
10-30-2014, 10:59 AM
http://www.amazon.com/Shop-Fox-W1819-10-Inch-Riving/dp/B004IYJ9Y2/ref=sr_1_2?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1414680883&sr=1-2&keywords=shopfox+table+saw

Why not this, Shopfox is made my Grizzly and seems the be the twin of hte G0690

Phil Barrett
10-30-2014, 11:58 AM
You won't go wrong with the Grizzly 1023, it is built in Taiwan, which is where the other premium machines are built. Have heard of no issues with that model. You would probably be fine with the used Unisaw as well, I bought a new one in 05, have had no issues with it. Would think that Amazon gift cards would be almost the same as cash, if buying used.

I recently bought a G1023RLW. It's a great saw and fantastic value for the money.

That said, breaking down sheet goods is best left to a track saw. I'm looking at the Makita as it seems to be very close the the Festool in quality of cut and easy of use at a significant discount.

Still, I can't imagine not having a table saw.

Earl Rumans
10-30-2014, 3:23 PM
I agree about the sheet goods. I have the Makita Track Saw and although it's not a Festool, it does a very good job for me. The only drawback is it doesn't have a riving but I have not found that to be any problem. I highly recommend it, especially for the price.

Patrick Curry
11-04-2014, 12:47 AM
$1700 will get you a nice Grizzly cabinet saw. I undestand your currency is Amazon, but with all the used contractor and hybrid saws out there I just couldn't image spending more than $400 on one.

if your just getting started in woodworking, thwt money might be better spent on a box top planer, jointer, router, fences, etc.

like someone else said, a circular saw, aluminum strip, shop made jig will get the sheet down to size. A fine tuned used table saw with a good Bies clone will do the rest.

Id love to have a nice cabinet saw but went with the hybrid 1960s cast iron Sprunger ($250) so I could could pick up the rest of the tools I needed.

When end the time is right I'll pick up a used delta with a better fence system.

kim len
11-07-2014, 3:04 AM
for your budget and requirements, i would check out one of the bosch here http://topbestprice.com/top-20-best-selling-power-table-saws-home-improvement-tools/

if not, the jet, skil and makita are the other choices i will go with (in that order)