PDA

View Full Version : horizontal bandsaw for resawing

Dominique Meuris
08-05-2014, 4:44 PM
Is their anyone who has experience with building a horizontal bandsaw for resawing oak timber?

In general we have 27mm and 38mm oak timber, but from the 27mm we take out 20mm shelves, vertical walls, ...

At this moment we use the 38mm to make 30mm toppplates.
but we also use it to make 2 pieces from 10mm, which is a huge waste. With a bandsaw I should be able to take it out from the 27mm.
I take out 25mm pieces for topplates of lower parts. = huge waste, with a bandsaw I should be able to take out 25mm & 9-10mm

bottomline, It would save a lot of material for me.
but how should it be build? and what is the thickness of a good bandsaw for oak?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qQPlPbGATs
this is the idea of how it should work. only it needs to be with a longer table

or another way of thinking is to use a standard but very strong vertical bandsaw. and to mount a table in front and at the back. + automatic rollers that pushes it onto a fence.

what would be the easiest to construct, and give the best quality with the smallest cutline?

Peter Kelly
08-05-2014, 5:40 PM
Matthias Wandel made a wooden one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpI-NMNUQwI&list=PLF6EF6609E8BD58B9

That Grizzly is a knock off of a Baker Model A (http://www.baker-online.com/Resaw_-_Single_Head_Model_A___AX_Resaw_-_Single_Head_Model_A___AX.aspx?pannel=3&productid=2526&categoryid=679) btw.

Loren Woirhaye
08-05-2014, 6:16 PM
I have considered it.

At one point I had a 20" Delta band saw and, having removed the table and trunnion for painting I noticed how much larger the capacity became and it occurred to me that I could turn it into a sawmill.

One difference between shop band saws and band mills is that band mills often have wider wheels to take carbon steel blades in the 2" wide range. That Delta could take a 1" blade but not much more.

Andrew Hughes
08-05-2014, 6:26 PM
I would try to make a robot to serve me hot coffee before I would try to make a bandsaw.Just seems safer.:)

Jim Andrew
08-05-2014, 10:39 PM
I have a small bandmill. It is a real resaw machine. you have to put a board under the piece you are going to resaw because it won't go closer than about 1" to the bed of the machine.

Dominique Meuris
08-06-2014, 3:10 AM
Something else I once saw is a standard vertical bandsaw, and they placed a feeder on it.
is this a possiblity? because I also hear people saying that it doesn't work well.

Jim Matthews
08-06-2014, 7:48 AM
How wide is the log?

It seems to me that you could experiment with a plain-Jane
Delta 14 to see if the concept works for you.

There are plenty of hardpoints on the cast iron frame
to mount the works to a trolley.

I've seen very good results with homebrewed (DIY)
bandsaw mills using truck tires and lawnmower engines.

Those have large capacity, limited only by welding skills
and the length of the blade you can purchase.

Dominique Meuris
08-06-2014, 2:04 PM
Well, it aren't logs that I have to saw, just planks that need to be sawn into smaller pieces without losing to many mm's during the sawing process.
the planks have a width between 60-80cm, but all the time we recut them in piece of maximum 15 cm's.
So heigth isn't the most important factor.

I think that rebuilding a vertical bandsaw into a resaw will be the easiest way.
but how can I install a feeder onto it? because I have to resaw around 1-2 m2 daily.

How wide is the log?

It seems to me that you could experiment with a plain-Jane
Delta 14 to see if the concept works for you.

There are plenty of hardpoints on the cast iron frame
to mount the works to a trolley.

I've seen very good results with homebrewed (DIY)
bandsaw mills using truck tires and lawnmower engines.

Those have large capacity, limited only by welding skills
and the length of the blade you can purchase.

Rod Sheridan
08-06-2014, 2:48 PM
Something else I once saw is a standard vertical bandsaw, and they placed a feeder on it.
is this a possiblity? because I also hear people saying that it doesn't work well.

Many larger saws have built in feeders.

Feeders work very well on band saws.............Rod.

Rod Sheridan
08-06-2014, 2:50 PM
Well, it aren't logs that I have to saw, just planks that need to be sawn into smaller pieces without losing to many mm's during the sawing process.
the planks have a width between 60-80cm, but all the time we recut them in piece of maximum 15 cm's.
So heigth isn't the most important factor.

I think that rebuilding a vertical bandsaw into a resaw will be the easiest way.
but how can I install a feeder onto it? because I have to resaw around 1-2 m2 daily.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SksCR69lhuQ

Watch the above video for some ideas............Rod.

Dominique Meuris
08-06-2014, 3:09 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SksCR69lhuQ

Watch the above video for some ideas............Rod.

Well that's the system I have been thinking of to buy, but one from stenner then.
But the problem is that I juist build a 80m3 drying kiln, and funds are quite low right now.

That's why I was thinking to make a system like this out of a standard band saw and then install a feeder onto it.
I'm just wondering how I can do this, because I have heard people trying a feeder that they used on a spindle shaper. but that didn't work out well ...

Is their another way, or a place to buy the feeder?

Jim Matthews
08-06-2014, 3:15 PM
1-2 square meters per day isn't high production.

I would build a proper resaw fence, and buy the stoutest bandsaw available.
This is something you should be able to do upright, without further construction.

You will need to get one face and adjacent edge of each board flat and square, first.

The real advantage of the vertical mills is that the logs don't move.
The disadvantage is the carriage must be fabricated, and still may not work well.

The bandsaw mills I have seen that cut well produce a great deal of sawdust,
and that's waste.

Peter Kelly
08-06-2014, 3:40 PM
Can also set up an ordinary stock feeder with most larger saws.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyIfa4PMJns

Loren Woirhaye
08-06-2014, 4:45 PM
The problem with standard stock feeders is they may run too fast, depending on what you're cutting. You can get lightweight ones with variable DC motors... and another option is to try a 3-phase feeder with a VFD.

Dominique Meuris
08-06-2014, 5:13 PM
Sorry, that's a typing mistake.
i'm not talking about 1-2 square meters per day, because well that's nothing ...
I'm talking about 1-2 cubic meters per day. I have 8 assembling teams of 2 persons that need to have all the items prepaired in time.
at this moment it's looking that I need some more teams to keep up with production, but I do not wan't to increase the prepairing teams to much anymore...

Currently we are resawing everything with a panel saw. but the problem is that we lose 3mm of the circular saw everytime. which makes it impossible to take the required dimension out of our beams. with a result that we have a bigger waste. with a bandsaw I could cut with a 1-1,5mm blade, and then it's a complete difference.
+ i'm also looking to save some time.

1-2 square meters per day isn't high production.

I would build a proper resaw fence, and buy the stoutest bandsaw available.
This is something you should be able to do upright, without further construction.

You will need to get one face and adjacent edge of each board flat and square, first.

The real advantage of the vertical mills is that the logs don't move.
The disadvantage is the carriage must be fabricated, and still may not work well.

The bandsaw mills I have seen that cut well produce a great deal of sawdust,
and that's waste.

Joe Hillmann
08-06-2014, 5:34 PM
I built my own sawmill, the basic power head consists of a hacked up trailer axle, two 24" outside diameter trailer tires, and an engine. I built it because I need lots of 3/8" lumber. Before I built it I was buying 1 inch lumber and resawing it on a friends 24" grizzly bandsaw, which worked but was slow and require an hour of driving to get the lumber to his shop.

The first 1000bdft or so of lumber I sawed on my mill was resewing. I clamped a 10x10x6' to the bed and nailed a strip of lumber to the edge of it to act as a fence. Then I locked the carriage in place so it couldn't move and set the blade about in the center of the 10x10 (length wise) and with the bottom of the blade 3/8" above the beam. Then I just fed the boards into the blade using the beam as a table to slide it on. If I had planned to do a lot of resawing I would have built a power feeder.

Doing it on my saw was much much faster than doing it on an up right bandsaw. On my friends saw he was using blades with carbide teeth that were over $100 each so I am sure a new sharp blade would have helped, whereas my saw uses $17 blades that only cost $8 to sharpen so as soon as there is the slightest hint of dullness I put on a new one. Using his saw it probably took about 45 seconds to a minute to resaw an 8" 1x3. On mine I could feed as fast as I felt safe to do so.

Kevin Jenness
08-06-2014, 11:14 PM
For what you are doing a Baker or similar horizontal resaw is the thing. You can reinvent the wheel but probably not to your advantage. The production you are talking about should pay for the appropriate machine.

Dominique Meuris
08-07-2014, 2:53 AM
Well it isn't that simple running a factory.

All the time we have to do investments, like now we just build a 80m3 drying kiln which costed me around 55000€.

Ofcourse investments return it's value in a few years, but the biggest problem in the eastern european banks is that They have huge intrest rates. So we aren't lending any money And have to invest everything With the factory itself.

That's why i'm Looking to keep it as cheap as possible.
I still have a big verticale bandsaw that's rarely in use.
Similar to this one
http://i.marktplaats.com/00/s/NzY4WDU3Ng==/z/VN0AAOSwxCxT0rl-/$_84.JPG

That's why i would like to install a feeder onto it. The power bandsaw feeders seem to be very expensive.

A normal feeder Seems to be quite limited on the other Side ...

For what you are doing a Baker or similar horizontal resaw is the thing. You can reinvent the wheel but probably not to your advantage. The production you are talking about should pay for the appropriate machine.

Jim Andrew
08-07-2014, 9:33 AM
It might be as simple as getting the right blade for the bandsaw you already have. I saw a shop that had a bandsaw set up to resaw 4/4 rough lumber at a slight angle so they could make 2 pieces of casing from each piece of 4/4.

Gus Dundon
08-08-2014, 2:47 PM
Band saw feeder is great, not that necessary but operation would be safer.

Dominique Meuris
08-09-2014, 11:24 AM
Is their anyone who can give me some more intell about the cuts with a bandsaw + feeder?

probably i'm going to try this out.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyIfa4PMJns

But I wonder how much i'm loosing with cutting a piece in 2.
in mm's if possible.

Dominique Meuris
08-10-2014, 3:13 PM
anyone who can tell me how much i'm loosing with resawing by bandsaw on average? in mm's of possible.

Jamie Buxton
08-10-2014, 3:18 PM
anyone who can tell me how much i'm loosing with resawing by bandsaw on average? in mm's of possible.

Well, it depends on how big your bandsaw is, and how thick your blade is. In a one-man furniture shop, I resaw with 1" Woodmaster CT blade from Lenox. The kerf width is .05" (1.3 mm). But my saw may be wimpy for your production work.

Dominique Meuris
08-10-2014, 4:23 PM
Well, it depends on how big your bandsaw is, and how thick your blade is. In a one-man furniture shop, I resaw with 1" Woodmaster CT blade from Lenox. The kerf width is .05" (1.3 mm). But my saw may be wimpy for your production work.

Well i do not know which blade is best for me.
I was thinking on a widia blade with 40mm width and 0,8mm thickness.

But i can immagin that i'm loosing more then 0,8mm when cutting. That's what i'm wondering about. How much extra i have to take into account.

Thomas Hotchkin
08-10-2014, 4:25 PM

Take a look at this video on resawing with horizontal bandsaw it may give you some idea. www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3utt2Y5aH0 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3utt2Y5aH0) Tom (starts at about 4 minutes in)