PDA

View Full Version : Where is the FAQ section? Why only interviews with wood turners?

george wilson
08-05-2014, 3:41 PM
We used to have a nice FAQ section(not that little thing on the top bar),and interviews with all kinds of wood workers. I cannot find them now. What has happened to these features?

David Weaver
08-05-2014, 3:47 PM
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?103805-Neanderthal-wisdom-FAQs

It's up in the announcements section.

george wilson
08-05-2014, 6:28 PM
Well,I think they are entirely too obscure. I looked for quite a while and could not find the FAQ section.

Daniel Rode
08-05-2014, 9:32 PM
It's well hidden, that's for sure. Really it should be the first sticky post. At worst, the first post should have a link the the FAQ

Jim Koepke
08-05-2014, 9:36 PM
Well,I think they are entirely too obscure. I looked for quite a while and could not find the FAQ section.

I agree with you George but the powers that be felt it needed moving.

For me the search function works fairly well. Either > wisdom/FAQs < or > faqs < in the SMC search box at the top right of the page brought it up on the top.

jtk

george wilson
08-05-2014, 10:06 PM
Not that I am by any means a computer whiz,but I think,if I can't even find it,how are newbies supposed to?

Jim Koepke
08-06-2014, 11:42 AM
Not that I am by any means a computer whiz,but I think,if I can't even find it,how are newbies supposed to?

Again I have to agree. Most people do not associate archived wisdom with Announcements. Especially one with the byline of being about current events.

Maybe we need a sticky at the top of the conference called "Road Map, finding what you are looking to find."

It could have a lot of links and even search terms that would take a user straight to the results of a term like; dovetails, tenon saw, sharpening, tool restoration and any other thing that people often ask about.

The problem with most websites is they are put together by people at the top of their computer usage/knowledge. Sometimes it makes it difficult for those of us who are novice level computer users.

jtk

ken seale
08-06-2014, 1:01 PM
Careful George...

Talk like this will get you banned.

:p

Pat Barry
08-06-2014, 1:02 PM
Who is in charge of making this sort of sticky or FAQ more user friendly? The moderators? The web site owner? Seems like things like this should be easy to fix

Keith Outten
08-06-2014, 1:08 PM
The Member Interviews (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/forumdisplay.php?28-Member-Interviews) Forum is the third forum from the top on our main menu.

There is an FAQ thread (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?61168-Frequently-Asked-Questions-About-The-Creek) in the Support Forum which contains information about The Creek.

Keith Outten
08-06-2014, 6:19 PM
Jim Koepke shared the link with me to the FAQ thread George was looking for, it has been moved back to this Forum.

george wilson
08-06-2014, 7:09 PM
Keith,thank you for restoring the FAQ section. I can still only find TOOD TURNER interviews,not the other members,though. Maybe I'm messing up. It's been a hard day for me,and I'm pretty tired out. Thank you again.

Daniel Rode
08-06-2014, 8:19 PM
Thanks Keith!

Pat Barry
08-06-2014, 9:05 PM
Hey now, that is a great thread although FAQ doesn't really do it proper justice with regard to getting someone to see all the fine work contained in there. I would rename it as project archive or Neanderthal archive or smoething like that. The only FAQ I can see it addressed is "where is that thing?". Thanks Keith for restoring it though. I can see why George was so interested in locating it.

Jim Koepke
08-07-2014, 11:06 AM
I would rename it

Well, it is the repository of Neanderthal wisdom and there are answers to a lot of frequently asked questions.

If I were to advocate any change to the name it would be to upgrade the w in wisdom to uppercase.

Let's just thank Keith for making it easier to find or explain to others how to find it.

jtk