PDA

View Full Version : Disposal of...

Jim O'Dell
07-05-2005, 7:02 PM
spent carpet knife blades. How do you safely dispose of these? I remember as a child, the medicine cabinet in the bathroom had a slot, and you would put the dull (to your face) razor blades into the slot. Not a problem until you demo the wall or have a fire and someone stumbles on the blades. I'm looking for a safe way to dispose of these things. Thanks! Jim.

Ken Garlock
07-05-2005, 9:54 PM
First off, I have used an electric razor for 50 years, no blade disposal problem there. :p With other blades like the single edge blade used to scrape paint off of glass, or the used blade from my utility knife, I just take some tape of any kind and fold it over the business edge and toss it in the regular trash.

Ray Bersch
07-06-2005, 6:12 AM
What's a razor blade?

Dave Brandt
07-06-2005, 6:59 AM
I use a small Pringle can with a slot cut into the plastic top.

John Hart
07-06-2005, 7:04 AM
I give them to the neighbor kids to play with. :D Kidding....I do the same as Ken...Although, the pringle's can sounds better.

Kevin Beck
07-06-2005, 8:12 AM
Well, based on my experience removing about 1200 square feet of carpet from my home a few years ago you just throw them down under the carpet :eek:

I picked up a bunch of carpet blades in the process of replacing our carpet with ceramic tile. I would think taping the edge or the pringles can would be a better place.

My mom says my brother and I found my Grandfather's coffee can of used razor blades when we were less than 2 years old and played with them. I guess I'm lucky to have all my body parts.

Kevin

Jim O'Dell
07-06-2005, 11:31 AM
Dave, that's a great idea. I know. Most of us use electric razors, myself included. But remember I said that when I was a child, I remember the medicine cabinet had a slot for the razor blades...didn't say I was old enough to use it!!! ;-)) Jim.

Lee DeRaud
07-06-2005, 12:08 PM
I use a small Pringle can with a slot cut into the plastic top.Ok, I'm obviously missing something: that's a good way to store them until you dispose of them, but the question remains, how are you going to dispose of them?

If you're just going to toss that Pringle's can in the trash, why not just toss the blades in the trash?

John Hart
07-06-2005, 12:23 PM
That takes too much time Lee. Just think of all the time wasted walking back and forth throwing razor blades away. Then there's the material cost associated with making each blade safe as an individual....without which, you'll have major environmental concerns, with the EPA and OSHA showing up at your house, expecting you to fill out forms and stuff. Major expense!

The pringle's can solves all that.:)

Lee DeRaud
07-06-2005, 12:46 PM
That takes too much time Lee. Just think of all the time wasted walking back and forth throwing razor blades away. Then there's the material cost associated with making each blade safe as an individual....without which, you'll have major environmental concerns, with the EPA and OSHA showing up at your house, expecting you to fill out forms and stuff. Major expense!

The pringle's can solves all that.:)That was kind of my point: it doesn't. It just moves the problem from your shop to the land fill or whatever.

Ernie Nyvall
07-06-2005, 6:51 PM
Glue them together and make the largest carpet blade ball in the world. Then charge people to come look at it. Eventually you can sell it on ebay, retire, and pay someone else to dispose of the ones you use after that. Simple

Ernie