PDA

View Full Version : lathe features needed

John F. Rovente
07-05-2005, 6:18 PM
I am scheduled to see a guy tomarrow to look at a Yates wood lathe. It came from a local college shop. He wants $850.00 for it. It's 3 phase ( I have a phase converted in my shop) its 16inch and 30 inches between centers. He claims it is in mint condition. It has variable speed. Does this seem like a fair price? What features should I be asking if it has.

Ernie Nyvall
07-05-2005, 7:44 PM
I just googled a Yates lathe and a guy is selling a rebuilt 12" for $1500.00. It sounds like it would sure be worth looking at.The lathe in the college I went to probably got less than 2 hrs. of use per day. If you are not interested in rebuilding any of it, check that the two centers match. Check the spindle for play in the bearings. Hopefully it still has the tool rest body. Other than that I wouldn't know what to look for. I'm certainly no expert.

Ernie

Chris Barton
07-05-2005, 8:10 PM
I did a google search as well and did dig long enough to find a picture of one:

http://www.cekron.com/images/shop%20&%20machines/yateslathe.jpg

From what I can tell reading in the various links I found, this machine has been out of production for about 60-70 years. Good luck!

Chris

Richard Allen
07-05-2005, 8:51 PM
Hi John

Check your PM

Pat Salter
07-06-2005, 1:54 AM
John, I have one of those. it's a dandy, nice and heavy/stable. I agree that you need to check that the centers match. If you get the tool rest and tailstock you are ahead of me. I managed to find that the Delta 12" tailstock and tool rest will work.
Check to see if they have faceplates and a chuck that fit. The problem is that the spindle is a 1 1/8" X 8 thread. Very difficult to find. Not impossible, just difficult.
hmm, I just reread your post, Mine is just a 12". I'm sure it's in fairly good shape, nothing that having a friend in a machine shop can't fix.
When you say "variable" speed, check it. Mine is too, but by moving the belts with a lever. If it's variable by electric, you are ahead again.
Let us know what happens.