PDA

View Full Version : Thin Graphite Sheet

Jim Good
08-05-2014, 11:19 AM
Can anyone tell me if I will have any success cutting through a .01" graphite sheet with adhesive backing? These are used for thermal management in electrical systems. I'm using it in a furnace used to do science experiments. I need to cut gasket-type patterns out of these sheets.

The adhesive is .0008" thick. Hopefully it won't be too messy! I'm going to give it a try. Any thoughts!?!

Jim

David Somers
08-05-2014, 11:43 AM
Jim,

With no laser at hand I obviously have never tried cutting this stuff myself. A quick search on the web though showed cutting graphite composites being done with Yag and fiber lasers, not CO2. CO2 only seems to be used to mark the material because it absorbs so much of the energy and dissipates it. Do a quick search and you will find a number of references on this.

Dave

Dan Hintz
08-05-2014, 11:58 AM
Graphite of any form is not going to cut well with CO2... you want/need a fiber.

Jim Good
08-05-2014, 12:17 PM
That was my thoughts, too. I hoped with such a thin cross-section, I may be able to make it through. I wasn't confident. Since I have a sheet of it, I'll give it a try anyway but I'm not confident.

I appreciate the opinions and I'll let you know the outcome.

Jim

Mike Null
08-05-2014, 1:21 PM
jim

Only a guess but I think you'll just get reflection. I seem to remember doing something that had graphite on it but can't bring it up.

Jim Good
08-05-2014, 3:13 PM
Mike, I'll try going at it from the adhesive side. I figured that would be the only way. The other side is nice and reflective so I don't see me having much of a chance. I'm hoping since it is so thin, I may be able to over-power it but I still don't think it'll work. We won't know until we try!

It would save us some time if it works. It's like scotch tape on the back of aluminum foil with paper masking over the adhesive. I'll try it when I get home. Actually after the 4-year old finishes with soccer practice in 92 degree heat and 90% humidity. :o

Mike Null
08-05-2014, 4:30 PM
At worst you can mark it and use an exacto knife and French curve to cut it.

Kevin Gregerson
08-05-2014, 6:33 PM
On a standard CO2 laser, likely going to have issues. If it's a graphite filler you might be able to do it, but you'll want a fair bit of power(over 120watts) and some sort of fisheye lens to drop it down to a .001 spot size to amplify the power even more.