PDA

View Full Version : Wood Burning Stove

Donna Cooper
08-05-2014, 2:38 AM
Hello Guys,
I am going to buy new wood burning stove for my home as my old one is not in working condition. So can you recommend which one is best from the following of two? 294206294207

Al Launier
08-05-2014, 7:18 AM
Could you provide more specific information about each?

Dan Hintz
08-05-2014, 8:06 AM
You want us to decide upon efficiency of two stoves based upon their pictures? :confused:

Most efficient stove I have found was the pellet stove I have... 93% efficient.

David Weaver
08-05-2014, 8:37 AM
Donna, there are a few forums online that talk wood stoves, and with the current generation of secondary combustion stoves, I think you will want to find someone who has had the stoves you're looking at for a few years so they can discuss what it costs to keep whatever drives the secondary combustion going.

Do you have any idea what log size you're looking at burning, how much time you want between loads, how many square feet you want to heat, and about where you are located around the country?

Jim Matthews
08-05-2014, 9:40 AM
hearth.com/talk/forums/the-hearth-room-wood-stoves-and-fireplaces.6/

They're current on the products you can purchase.
If you're burning wood to supplement your primary heat source,
I like the Soapstone stoves which have a high thermal storage.

They get to operating temperature slowly, and radiate slowly.

The tendency is to get the largest stove you can fit in a space, which may be
good for the house as a whole, but can make the room the stove occupies
unbearably warm.

If you're heating with local wood, you can save by cutting and splitting your own.

If you're paying for wood deliveries, the pellet stoves are far more efficient
and can be essentially automated.

If it were my house, I would be looking for either a rebuilt Weso tiled stove
or a modern Soapstone stove. They look nice, and don't have scalding hot
cast iron on all surfaces (a consideration, if you've got children).

Steve Peterson
08-05-2014, 10:47 AM
Donna, If you are asking if an insert is better than a free-standing wood stove, then the answer is no. Free-standing has much more surface area to radiate heat to the room. It does take a bit more space.

If you want the most efficient stove, then I agree with Dan. Get a pellet stove. They are much more efficient and cleaner burning.

Steve

Donna Cooper
08-26-2014, 5:29 AM
You want us to decide upon efficiency of two stoves based upon their pictures? :confused:

Most efficient stove I have found was the pellet stove I have... 93% efficient.

Hi..
Can you please share the model no which you have installed in your home? efficiency is really good.

Dan Hintz
08-26-2014, 5:40 AM
Hi..
Can you please share the model no which you have installed in your home? efficiency is really good.

I just looked it up... the claim is 91% efficient, actually, not 93%. Sorry about that. It's the Ecoteck Laura model. It could use some design tweaks when it comes to cleaning, but it's a great running machine.

alex McCraw
09-17-2014, 7:44 AM
It is good to know that it is 91% efficient and I will surely look forward for it.

Jim Becker
09-17-2014, 5:04 PM
Donna, you also need to be sure to check the regulations in your area for wood stoves...you may be required to include certain features, such as catalytic operation to meet code.