PDA

View Full Version : 3M Finishing Pads? Good? Best ones for rust removal? And WW?

Doug Hobkirk
08-04-2014, 10:31 PM
I am putting together an order for shop supplies. I currently have an unmanageable assortment of fiber pads. But I often note that 3M pads are recommended for various tasks, including rust removal. But the choices are vast:

3M Finishing Pad - this happened to be on my wish list and triggered thisy post -
"10144NA Features: -Replaces ''00'' extra fine steel wool.-Removes bubbles, dust, nibs and other minor blemishes for smooth as glass results.-Won't splinter or shred like steel wool.-Tough and durable.-Rinse and reuse.-6'' x 3-7/8''.-2 per card. Color/Finish: -Effectively and conveniently prepares surfaces before first coat of finish or sealer, and between coats to obtain a super smooth finish."
3M "Between Coats" Finishing Pad
3M "Hand Sanding Metal" Finishing Pad
3M SandBlaster Flexible Finishing Pad (120, 220, 320, 400 grits)
I'm sure there are many more choices
And of course there are products from other equally reputable companies, like Scotch Brite (gray, maroon, green, and more).

FYI, It seems like this might factor in any advice you offer.

My main interest is probably rust removal - projects like jointers, planes, misc. tools
Most my finishing is done with planes, scrapers, and sanding

I am the proud owner of one Festool, a 6" ROS. It works great.
I have a variety of hand-sanding pads, but they don't get much use
I don't use steel wool much, although I have lots - mostly 000 and 0000, if I remember correctly

And, there are discs for grinders, drills, and ROS'es.

Or point me to a great web-page that answers my questions. THANKS

Erik Loza
08-04-2014, 11:01 PM
Scotchbrite pads, some oil or other cutting fluid, and an orbital palm sander (or rotary tool with abrasive mandrel buff) have always worked fine for me.

Erik Loza
Minimax USA