PDA

View Full Version : Cutting a stopped dado mid point on the stock

George Bokros
08-04-2014, 7:40 PM
Does this make sense.

I will be using a DW611 in the plunge base.

Task is to cut stopped dado a specified distance from the end of the stock.

Mount router in base
Install centering cone and center the sub base.
Measure the width of the router sub base and divide by 2 - should be center
Add above measurement to the center line of the dado and set guide bar at that point and clamp securely.
Visually verify dado will be in correct place.
Cut dado

Make note of router base center line for future reference.

Shawn Pixley
08-04-2014, 8:02 PM
I am not a router guy and I don't know that particular router, but I wouldn't do it that way myself. To my thinking, you've got too many calculations. I'd center the Base, get your bit in and test (not running) against marks you've made on the stick (marking both face and end grain). I would want to see the bit in position against the stock and the marks rather than trusting calculations. ((and I'm a math guy)

I have a track for my router, I would use it rather than an edge guide. Others make jigs for the full router base to run between. That works too. I would put a stop where I wanted the dado to end rather than trying to eyeball it with the router throwing out chips.

william watts
08-04-2014, 11:30 PM
I just did that operation this last weekend. Shawn suggestion is the way go. I made a pencil mark on the center of dado, then used a v-groove bit in the router and adjusted the edge guide so the point of the bit is on the line. Then with the router turned off moved the router the length of the line to make sure the point of the bit followed the line. Then exchanged the v-groove bit for a streight bit, then cut the dado. For this cut I felt confident using the edge guide, but the router against a straight edge is easer to control. Keep the same spot of router base against the straight edge so the dado doesn't wonder.