PDA

View Full Version : Thin parting tool on the cheap

Troy Cleckler
08-04-2014, 2:40 PM
I was in Lowes to get a sawsall blade to make a thin parting tool. While looking through the tool section I come across a cheap sliding T bevel for less 5 bucks. I ground an under cut off of the bevel and will touch it up when I get home tonight and give it a try. One slot in the handle is longer that the other so I've got the short slot in top so the blade presure will be upwards into the handle, I believe that I can tighten the one bolt enough to make it hold tight, we'll see.
Anyway, just wanted to pass it along and I'll follow up when I give it a try.

Dan Hintz
08-04-2014, 2:51 PM
Looks like that blade continues through the entire handle... should you get a catch for whatever reason, it will be happy to slice through your hand. I'd spend a few extra bucks and get one where the metal doesn't extend too far into the handle. I like the thinking on this one, just not sure it's worth the risk this time around.

Troy Cleckler
08-04-2014, 3:12 PM
Looks like that blade continues through the entire handle... should you get a catch for whatever reason, it will be happy to slice through your hand. I'd spend a few extra bucks and get one where the metal doesn't extend too far into the handle. I like the thinking on this one, just not sure it's worth the risk this time around.

Good point made. I could picture that happening. The Blade has a slot in it so drilling a hole through the handle and adding the extra bolt should keep that from happening.

Joe Bradshaw
08-04-2014, 10:36 PM
I have found that a putty knife makes a great thin parting tool. Just grind the end to the shape that you like.

Rick Gibson
08-26-2014, 10:24 PM
I use the dull blades from my planer. They are HSS and thin. I can get 2 out of every blade.