PDA

View Full Version : How to Map Electrical Circuits

Eduard Nemirovsky
08-04-2014, 1:06 PM
I am planning to replace all of the light switches in my house. Main panel is not very well labeled:( (which circuit powering to what room or appliances). Obviously I can turn off each circuit and check every room which outlet is off, light off and so fore. I do want to label all of the switches, but does anybody know any other way to check power distribution in the house? Like plugin device in the outlet and use some kind of light pen to check in the distribution panel? Or it is just my fantasy?:confused:
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you, Ed.

Lee Schierer
08-04-2014, 1:30 PM
The make devices called circuit tracers. You can get them at the big box stores in the electrical tool area. Price ranges and brands vary.
For light circuits replace a bulb with a screw in plug converter and then plug in your tracer.

Jim Koepke
08-04-2014, 1:42 PM
It seems a circuit tracer would require checking each outlet or light fixture one at a time. That is a lot of walking back and forth. Unless you can use the tracer to track wiring inside the walls.

You might want to also consider something that is done in many situations of labeling each outlet or light switch with the corresponding breaker designation.

jtk

ray hampton
08-04-2014, 1:57 PM
you can use a radio of other noisy tool that can be move to each outlet AND SAVE some walking

Eduard Nemirovsky
08-04-2014, 2:10 PM
Ray - it is a good idea, thanks.
you can use a radio of other noisy tool that can be move to each outlet AND SAVE some walking
Just check prices on different circuit tracers - ouch for a good one.Like GreenLee - $700-1100:eek::eek:. And I would need only for a day of work. I am thinking of rent one - need to find a place now. Will search net.
Ed.

Eduard Nemirovsky
08-04-2014, 2:13 PM
Yes Jim - this is in my plan.
You might want to also consider something that is done in many situations of labeling each outlet or light switch with the corresponding breaker designation.

jtk

Lee - thank you, I knew it exist:D

Pat Barry
08-04-2014, 6:23 PM
Easiest way is to enlist your spouse, your kids, or a helper and yell back and forth to each other which lights go off when a breaker is pulled. EVERY other way is more expensive, slower, or will wear you out from all the running around.

Tom M King
08-04-2014, 6:29 PM
Pair of walkie-talkies, and helper.

Eduard Nemirovsky
08-04-2014, 7:07 PM
Thank you, everyone. After looking for the options, checking price for circuit checkers and reading reviews, I decided to use my dear wife as a second hand/helper. I am sure she will enjoy helping me out and occasionally yelling to me:D
Ed.

ray hampton
08-04-2014, 8:05 PM
Thank you, everyone. After looking for the options, checking price for circuit checkers and reading reviews, I decided to use my dear wife as a second hand/helper. I am sure she will enjoy helping me out and occasionally yelling to me:D
Ed.

I hope that all rooms are on one floor

Eduard Nemirovsky
08-04-2014, 8:16 PM
It will be a lot of yelling - we have a three story house:eek:

Brian Elfert
08-04-2014, 8:38 PM
Just use cell phones for communicating. It won't cost anything if you have free mobile to mobile between the two phones.

Ed Aumiller
08-04-2014, 9:37 PM
cell phones are great for this... best way is to put your helper (wife or kid) at the breaker panel and you check each outlet / light....

Remember, not all outlets / lights in a room are always on the same breaker ....

Some breakers may cover different areas, so check each outlet / light individually.....

Take your time and get everything correct and it will save a LOT of time in the future...

Lee Schierer
08-05-2014, 12:57 PM
It seems a circuit tracer would require checking each outlet or light fixture one at a time. That is a lot of walking back and forth. Unless you can use the tracer to track wiring inside the walls. I've never used one, but I would think that if you can detect the sound at teh breaker you should be able to do the same at each receptacle

Any time I work on a circuit, I label the back of the cover plate with the circuit breaker number that controls it. It sure makes any future work easier.

jtk

I wish the electrical code would require outlets and switches to be labeled individually.

ray hampton
08-05-2014, 1:00 PM
cell phones are great for this... best way is to put your helper (wife or kid) at the breaker panel and you check each outlet / light....

Remember, not all outlets / lights in a room are always on the same breaker ....

Some breakers may cover different areas, so check each outlet / light individually.....

Take your time and get everything correct and it will save a LOT of time in the future...

Just one more detail that nobody mention yet BE SURE TO TELL YOUR NEIGHBORS THAT YOU /FAMILY WILL BE YELLING AT EACH OTHER so that they do not call the cops on you

Pat Barry
08-05-2014, 1:20 PM
Just one more detail that nobody mention yet BE SURE TO TELL YOUR NEIGHBORS THAT YOU /FAMILY WILL BE YELLING AT EACH OTHER so that they do not call the cops on you
LOL - thats funny!

Jim Koepke
08-05-2014, 1:56 PM

Heck, get the cops to help you with checking which lights are on or off. :D

jtk

ray hampton
08-05-2014, 6:22 PM
Heck, get the cops to help you with checking which lights are on or off. :D

jtk

What if the cops find your plants