PDA

View Full Version : What's your favorite general purpose yellow glue?

Wes Billups
08-03-2014, 9:32 PM
I'm always waffling on what glue to use on indoor projects. I typically just use whatever I've got on hand but am wondering what others do and their reasoning behind their decisions. Please let me know what your primary glue is for indoor projects and why.

Thanks,
Wes

David Hawxhurst
08-03-2014, 9:37 PM
the simple answer is: its the only pva glue in my shop. i use a lot of nexabond 2500 which is a ca based glue works well and much faster than pva glues.

Rick Fisher
08-04-2014, 1:06 AM
Lepages in the 1L bottle. Its my favorite bottle. Glue is glue IMO.

Shawn Pixley
08-04-2014, 2:05 AM
TBIII is my only yellow glue. Otherwise it is hide glue or epoxy depending upon the application.

Rich Riddle
08-04-2014, 2:22 AM
Titebond III is mine. The Wood Whisperer did a brief summary of similarities and differences between the different Titebon glues.

Max Neu
08-04-2014, 5:47 AM
Super Titebond is my general purpose glue.

John Lanciani
08-04-2014, 6:58 AM
None of the above. My go-to PVA for projects that are out of the weather is Lee Valley's GF2002. The viscosity and color are the primary reasons.

scott spencer
08-04-2014, 7:58 AM
I don't notice a lot of difference between the major brands, but I like the Titebond bottle better than the Elmer's.

Rod Sheridan
08-05-2014, 8:51 AM
None of the above. My go-to PVA for projects that are out of the weather is Lee Valley's GF2002. The viscosity and color are the primary reasons.

Same for me..............Rod.

Chris Padilla
08-05-2014, 11:34 AM
Super Titebond is my general purpose glue.

Max, I've never heard of Super TB until you mentioned it and I see why: its smallest size is a 5 gallon bucket! LOL Its open time is comparable to TB-I.

TB-III is my general glue to use and it has a bit longer open time over TB-II. If I need something to set up faster, TB-I or the TB Molding/Trim for really fast set. I use the Better Bonds glue from vacuumpress.com for my veneering applications. I use the Gorilla Glue Poly for fixing veneering bubble mistakes and gluing uncommon items together (GG poly can glue just about anything to anything) and I like epoxy for super extended working times if I need it and for most outdoor projects.

Jon McElwain
08-05-2014, 1:19 PM
I've been using Titebond 2 with very good results. Titebond 3 is a little too dark for butt joints IMO.

Phil Thien
08-05-2014, 1:26 PM
I hate yellow glue, I use Elmer's Glue-All (white).

Kent A Bathurst
08-05-2014, 5:29 PM
TBIII is my only yellow glue. Otherwise it is hide glue or epoxy depending upon the application.

^^^ this ^^^

Don't understand the comments about color - If I can see the glue joint, I did something wrong.

Max Neu
08-05-2014, 8:43 PM
Once my 5 gallon bucket of Super Titebond is gone,I am considering just using my cold press glue( Better Bond) for everything.I like the viscosity,and I like the "Extra Dark" color.The advantage of the dark glue for me is it's easier to see a small smear or drop of glue before the piece goes to the finishing room.

Peter Quinn
08-05-2014, 10:12 PM
Titebond III for everything except stain grade maple, for that type I. Ive been using mostly type II at work, I may switch to that for maple. My shop gets down in the lower 50's in winter, I like having one glue that handles the temps and does everything. I also only buy galvanized nails for nail guns because I don't want to be guessing whats in the gun for exterior projects.

Chris Padilla
08-06-2014, 2:50 PM
Titebond III for everything except stain grade maple, for that type I. Ive been using mostly type II at work, I may switch to that for maple. My shop gets down in the lower 50's in winter, I like having one glue that handles the temps and does everything. I also only buy galvanized nails for nail guns because I don't want to be guessing whats in the gun for exterior projects.

TB-III too dark for maple? I just glued up a bunch of maple with TB-III but it is all getting stained a chocolately brown walnut color so it doesn't really matter. I just like the longish open time of TB-III...always seem to be fightin' the clock with glue-ups.

Jerry Wright
08-06-2014, 9:18 PM
I have worked in cherry, walnut, teak, wenge, ebony ... and have always used Elmer's carpenter's glue (yellow). I have never seen color in a glue line in a good joint. I have clamped joints in furniture and just rubbed joints together in segmented turning. What am I missing? .. never understood the need the need to use color matched glues. Not bragging, but just curious.